What has Thaksin really done for the poor?

Flashermac

That Thaksin, the richest man in Thailand (well, 2nd richest, next to you-know-who), could be embraced by the dirt-poor, makes about as much sense as right-wing born-again Xians in the US embracing Reagan and (GW) Bush, two of of the most NON-pious and irreverent heathens one could hope to find...that is to say, neither scenario makes sense, but they both happened nonetheless. As someone said earlier: it's all image.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
right-wing born-again Xians in the US embracing Reagan and (GW) Bush, two of of the most NON-pious and irreverent heathens one could hope to find..

I think you're alluding to some evidence that a lot of us here aren't aware of. I mean, I think I can find some people less pious and irreverant than Reagan and Bush right here in the forum, no problem at all. Or hell, me even. I'm sure hoping you're gonna come back with something juicy here, not some stuff about how against the poor they were or whatever, how that's what Jesus was all about, blah blah. It's lurid stories of satanic sex orgies with giraffes I'm expecting here. Please don't disappoint.

Flash why not ask some Thais instead of posting on a whore mongers forum then you may get some answers Instead of your wifes and your views.

I LIVE in Thailand' date=' I haven't set foot outside the bloody country in about 6 years, I see the bloody Red Shirts almost every day, I speak fluent Thai, I read Thai and scan the Thai language papers every day, I'm surrounded by Thai students ... and I get told I should talk to some Thais. :surprised:

Apparently, I must live in that cave with Osama. :happyeaster:

[/quote']

No Flash

I said talk to some Thais outside of your narrow social circle

And just whom do you think that might be? Do I hang out with Thai archans? No. Should I talk to my neighbours about politics? They seem to be oblivious to the whole mess. Oddly enough the woman I buy veggies from in the market doesn't want to talk politics. The people in the small restaurants I frequent? They don't seem to be interested. Maybe I should I stop random strangers on the street and chat them up about politics. :hmmm:

The only people who like to talk politics are the taxi drivers, and they are the ones who says Thaksin did a lot ... whatever it was. (They don't seem to know, but they listened to radio stations who tell them he did.)

I live in Bangkok. My neighbourhood, district and the entire city vote consistently Democrat. So tell me how you know about British politics. I'm open to suggestions.

p.s. If you knew Thais very well, you'd know they don't like to talk about controversial topics. They generally avoid them. I did ask a neighbour - a retired taxi driver - what he thought about Thaksin when we were drinking together one night. He's the guy who told me that Thaksin was history. "If he comes back, he's dead."

Thais are not about to talk politics to me because:

1) I'm a foreigner and will always be one no matter how long I live here;

2) because of my occupation and place of employment, they automatically place me on a level above them (I've even seen it at Immigration);

3) they don't know how I will react and want to avoid arguments.

I said talk to some Thais outside of your narrow social circle

Are you serious? You cannot be!?

You tell me you can talk Thai politics with Thai people outside your social circle and I will call you a liar :) Seriously, its very difficult to discuss these issues even with the Thais that are family, heck, I can hardly discuss politics and royalty with my own wife. I'm also thinking more that Thais are generally very poorly informed so talking politics with them doesn't make much sense (You can tap into perceptions but hardly any facts).

Flash seems very much on top of things IMO.

And just whom do you think that might be? Do I hang out with Thai archans? No. Should I talk to my neighbours about politics? They seem to be oblivious to the whole mess. Oddly enough the woman I buy veggies from in the market doesn't want to talk politics. The people in the small restaurants I frequent? They don't seem to be interested. Maybe I should I stop random strangers on the street and chat them up about politics. :hmmm:

The only people who like to talk politics are the taxi drivers, and they are the ones who says Thaksin did a lot ... whatever it was. (They don't seem to know, but they listened to radio stations who tell them he did.)

I live in Bangkok. My neighbourhood, district and the entire city vote consistently Democrat. So tell me how you know about British politics. I'm open to suggestions.

p.s. If you knew Thais very well, you'd know they don't like to talk about controversial topics. They generally avoid them. I did ask a neighbour - a retired taxi driver - what he thought about Thaksin when we were drinking together one night. He's the guy who told me that Thaksin was history. "If he comes back, he's dead."

Thais are not about to talk politics to me because:

1) I'm a foreigner and will always be one no matter how long I live here;

2) because of my occupation and place of employment, they automatically place me on a level above them (I've even seen it at Immigration);

3) they don't know how I will react and want to avoid arguments.

No I am sorry Flash and Doxx, your qualifications to discuss Thai politics or issues is non existent! Especially when compared to those of occasional tourists and those who frequent Pattaya. You guys will just simply have to try harder to learn something/anything about Thailand, the language, the culture and the political structure...when will you guys get it? (Insert sarcastic condescending smilely here)

What a fuck...... WASTE OF TIME trying to have a discussion, yep all thais dont want to or they are too thick to discuss anything/ I bow down to the whoremongers!!!

Flash is right in my IMO jesus

Mate,

With all due respect I think you are approaching Thai culture and its people with a universalistic view (based on your native society). Things work different here and people work different here; Their whole world view is different from yours and you need to be sensitive to that. Doesn't mean you (I) have to like it, but at least make the effort to understand it.

Finally, it does not mean that we think Thais are "too thick" as you put it, it's just a recognition that they're different. You might eventually recognize that too, once you get past your drunken whore-mongering... :content:

Thais are very polarized right now ... Thaksin has even divided families. One of my students told me she cannot even talk politics around her father, since he thinks Thaksin walks on water and gets angry if she disagrees. Others have said more or less the same thing. Try having a political discussion in the classroom and watch the students promptly divide like Moses parting the Red Sea.

I'm not as concerned with what Thaksin may have done FOR the country; I'm more worried with what he has done TO the country - and all for selfish reaons. :(

Thaksin's fault, Thaksin breaks up families, Thaksin causes all the disruption.

The military coup and the occupation of the airport and government offices were all part of a fair democratic process, the problems are all caused by Thaksin...

Archived