Tipping at Hotels

Savittre

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but it is something that I learned from people who actually worked in Hotels....

Under a pillow....

Under the Bedcover

On the Bathroom vanity (under a soiled towel)

But...NEVER .... Openly "On display"

Cheers DS

Leave random amounts, according to whatever loose bills are in pocket. Usually 40baht for maid, sometimes more. Handful of occasions (checkout) a lot more. Fuck it.

Interesting thing though, couple times in the past I placed money in strategic locations and they didn't take it. Hell, I've left it right on the desk and they didn't take it. LOL. So now I'm in the habit of placing on top of the bedspread. Was unaware of potential threat from the drink counter (i thought the maid did that also). Under the pillow is a good suggestion though -- kinda hard to miss the intent there. Will try.

I agree with Mr. Munch.

I leave at least 20 baht to room cleaners each person. Or, I guess I leave 40 baht. One or the other it seems.

Same for laundry delivery person. If I get laundry done at hotel.

Nothing front desk.

I've never ordered/had room service although I think some of the gals have. I must have tipped them also. The gals and the room service people.

I don't stay at any hotels that have a built in 'service fee' that I know of.

What about hair cut / barber? Anyone tip these folks?

Well say' date=' a 5* hotel at a rate of 8K per day. You are already "tipping" 800 baht per day.[/quote']

Service charge is just a ripoff by the hotel. The staff don't get any extra pay because of it.

Depends on hotel, here on Samui where I live most hotels do pay service charge to staff and that can double their income or even better, pending on what hotel/resort they work for.

Staff knows that hotels pay the charge to their staff, why would they work somewhere where they don't pay out?

Archived