Tipping at Hotels

Savittre

I always leave it under the pillow. Hundreds of times chambermaids have taken it but on one occasion, on the morning after I arrived, the maid did not take it. It was only 20 baht on that occasion.

I once left alot of coins out, total of maybe 60 baht, the highest denomination being 5 baht. Mostly those little satang coins (do you get these anymore?). When I returned to my room the maid had tidied them into neat little piles.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well say' date=' a 5* hotel at a rate of 8K per day. You are already "tipping" 800 baht per day.[/quote']

Service charge is just a ripoff by the hotel. The staff don't get any extra pay because of it.

Actually, in the big name Bangkok hotels where a service charge is levied the staff DO get the money. It is divided up amongst all the staff and at the peak of the high season can work out to as much as 15k - 16k baht a month per staff member.

Sir ,

about 16000 would be the total salary , one third of which is base / month . It naturally gets lower towards low season . ( Maybe that is why they call it low season ) . Many hotels though do not include temporary staff into the scheme , other than my beloved riverlodge , the holy grail of generosity .

Archived