Tipping at Hotels

Savittre

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what you think is an appropriate amount to tip, and how often to tip at hotels- specifically the chambermaid and also the reception desk.

It's the old story- don't want to be cheap, don't want to be foolish!

Thanks, all of you.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will no doubt receive conflicting responses and as this topic has been discussed before (although not for a while) it might be worthwhile doing a search for it.

Personally I have never tipped the reception desk or even the people who work behind it and it has never crossed my mind to do so.

However I do leave a tip for the chambermaid every day. Not a specific amount, it just depends on what small change I have each morning, but usually in the B20 to B40 range.

I also give a tip to the bell boy at the beginning and end of my stay.

agree with Munchie's take on this...

BUT

I always leave the daily tip for the Room Service attendant somewhere where..."SHE" will find it....and NOT immediately visable, so that the Mini Bar tally counter (Hopefully) can't rip it off before the Room attendant gets to the room

I have posted this before....again, a long time ago....but it is something that I learned from people who actually worked in Hotels....

Under a pillow....

Under the Bedcover

On the Bathroom vanity (under a soiled towel)

But...NEVER .... Openly "On display"

Cheers DS

....I always leave the daily tip for the Room Service attendant somewhere where..."SHE" will find it....and NOT immediately visable, so that the Mini Bar tally counter (Hopefully) can't rip it off before the Room attendant gets to the room....

Good point that DS, I have always left the tip on top of the pillow but will follow your advise in the future. :up:

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what you think is an appropriate amount to tip, and how often to tip at hotels- specifically the chambermaid and also the reception desk.

Thanks, all of you.

Many hotels/restaurants will charge you a 10% service fee. Check, before tipping twice. :twocents:

....I always leave the daily tip for the Room Service attendant somewhere where..."SHE" will find it....and NOT immediately visable' date=' so that the Mini Bar tally counter (Hopefully) can't rip it off before the Room attendant gets to the room....[/quote']

Good point that DS, I have always left the tip on top of the pillow but will follow your advise in the future. :up:

Yep, good advice. I never thought about this.

:up:

Thanks, all of you.

Anything between 20 to 100 Bt.... depends on the hotel u stay. If my clients puts me up 5* I leave 100 on the pillow, HK & hotel staff know, an un-wrriten policy that it is for the HK. If ur on holiday except 5* even 20b makes them happy...

chheers

Archived