Is sex addiction a real illness?

WorldFun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess ol' Expat hasn't been keeping up on some of the threads. Otherwise he would know about the great Zionist conspiracy that secretly controls all world governments, media, banking, and delis.

:)

bah!

you'll never find gay guys complaining about getting/having/giving too much se, right?

The rest of your post was utter horseshit, but this little nugget is a gem.

I think it can be a serious problem. Addiction I learned in rehab for booze, is determined by consequences or something. If you do something to a point that it interferes with other aspects of life, such as relationships, work etc, then it is a problem.

Well, what happens when relationships, work, etc., get in the way of having a good sex life? (Like those things do with most people?)

I don't agree with a lot of CWs utterances, but he has a good point about gay men. Certainly the ones I've worked with when temping at Disney and Universal years ago had sex lives so aggressive they made most of you hardcore mongers look like reticent Amish farmers.

And nobody was trying to pathologize them.

Don't get me wrong. As casual as people want sex to be, there is always some element of risk, and even now science doesn't understand all the stuff interwoven with it. It's a primal drive, and a beautiful thing. Sometimes. :)

But sex addiction? Pfffft. We need more sex addicts and less neutured and medicated people leading a horribly dull and sterile existence.

bah!

is just made up by the frigid, hirsute, nazi lesbos who rule the world together with the jews.

you'll never find gay guys complaining about getting/having/giving too much se, right? only women who don't know how to please their man/men...

How much of this guys bullshit antisemitism/racism etc are we supposed to put up with?

While I tend to agree it could all be bullshit set up to excuse getting caught and creating job security for therapists in the process, I do think there could be elements of it that are true.

I would say it is more a behavioral thing than a physical one. I find sometimes I want to fuck more for psychological reasons than physical ones. I tend to "act out" with booze or food, others may "act out" with sex in various forms. SO I think there could be behavioral elements involved. Is Gluttony an addiction? or lack of self control? If a person is gluttonous with food or booze, is that any different than a person who is "gluttonous" with sex? I mean there may be more involved here than just a healthy sex drive.

As for Tiger, he was just taking advantage of what came his way.

As for gay guys...what is there average? something 5 different partners a week? why doesn't anyone study their sex 'consumption?" maybe because they are gay and no one is interested? or maybe the psychological community realizes men have higher sex drives than women, and thus will get more sex given the opportunity?

Supposedly women cheat in relationships because some emotional connect is missing, where as men cheat because the can. WHo is an "addict" and who isn't may well be based on the society/culture involved.

Yeah. Well put.

Honestly, I don't understand sex. Don't fucking get it. But I like it.

A lot. You could sum me up pretty easy as thus:

- I like pursuit, something new, something that entices me. And when I'm not having sex for awhile, it becomes very important to go after it.

- When I am having sex with someone on a regular basis: It's not as exciting or important. Eventually, after a period, I start to crave something different, no matter how strongly I feel about the woman I'm with.

Sometimes, I think life would've been a hell of a lot easier had I been gay. God damnit.

I think it can be a serious problem. Addiction I learned in rehab for booze, is determined by consequences or something. If you do something to a point that it interferes with other aspects of life, such as relationships, work etc, then it is a problem.

I would suggest it is not necessarily a physical addiction as much as it might be a psychological way of acting out, in response to other issues.

I agree, a young couple can be having sex several times a day but it wouldn't be considered unusual.

What we're looking at here is poor decision making due to outside influences. Booze and drugs can cause poor decision making, some people want to fight every time they get drunk for example.

Does sexual desire release a substance into some people's bloodstream that effects the decision making process?

Many men in relationships are sexually attracted to available women and either ignore it or pursue them discreetly, others seem to lose all discretion, the sexual act is not enough in itself, the desire to make the triumph public over rules any common-sense.

A married man who stays out all night, fully aware that the liaison will become common knowledge has a problem, one who gets his leg over occasionally well away from public scrutiny doesn't.

>A married man who stays out all night, fully aware that the liaison will become common knowledge has a problem, one who gets his leg over occasionally well away from public scrutiny doesn't.

Phew, what a relief. So it is a matter of choice, i choose to root at every available opportunity, I could NOT do so if I chose not to.

I must admit, currently being in a situation where I cannot either root or get drunk easily, I miss the booze more then the rooting. Maybe it takes longer for withdrawal symptoms for the sex to kick in.

Archived