Is sex addiction a real illness?

WorldFun

This is a very serious issue that needs dealt with swiftly! I for one knows how its like to be an outcast with this horrible addiction usually pointed fingers at by the usual PC/moral brigades :rolleyes:

I suppose the very existence of a board like this is clear evidence to support this case :up:

Thanks bros :beer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/04/is_sex_addiction_a_real_illnes.html

"

« Previous | Main | Next »

Is sex addiction a real illness?

10:43 UK time, Monday, 5 April 2010

Addiction clinics in the UK have reported a big rise in the number of people seeking sexual behaviour therapy. Should the addiction be treated seriously?

Therapists say many new clients have cited celebrities such as Tiger Woods as the inspiration for them to seek help.

However, sex addiction is not technically recognised as a medical illness, and many experts claim there is no such thing.

Is 'sex addiction' an excuse for infidelity? Are you addicted to sex? Have you overcome a sex addiction? Have you been involved with a sex addict?"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is 'sex addiction' an excuse for infidelity? Are you addicted to sex? Have you overcome a sex addiction? Have you been involved with a sex addict?"

Worldfun,

I had an uncle who had a boss who was a sex-addict. This wasn't of the Tiger Woods magnitude, who in my book is simply a celebrity who can't resist some of the pussy that gets thrown at him and isn't that true for all of us, no this guy was the real thing. He fucked his wife so often that in the end she had to be hospitalized because of the fysical damage done. Even then, this guy when visiting her would close the curtains and root her good. The nurses had to pull him off her so she could get some rest. Besides his wife he would fuck anything that moved and didn't put up a fight.

Moral of the story: You're not really suffering from a sex-addiction when you're not hurting the people you have sex with (all imho off course).

Cheers!

I think it can be a serious problem. Addiction I learned in rehab for booze, is determined by consequences or something. If you do something to a point that it interferes with other aspects of life, such as relationships, work etc, then it is a problem.

I would suggest it is not necessarily a physical addiction as much as it might be a psychological way of acting out, in response to other issues.

Archived