First airline to charge for carry-on bags

kamui

Spirit Airlines Will Now CHARGE A Fee For Carry-On Bags

Spirit Airlines, the Florida-based budget carrier, announced this morning that it will become the first American airline to impose a fee for carry-on baggage.

While passengers will still be permitted to bring a small bag aboard free of charge -- so long as its dimensions are within the 16"x14"x12" limit, USA Today reports -- [color:red]any luggage stored in the overhead compartment will incur a fee that starts at $20 and can go as high as $45.[/color] :banghead:

Members of Spirit Airlines's $9 Fare Club (which, for $39.95 per year, gives members access to exclusive fares, according to Wall Street Journal), will pay $20 for carry-on baggage. Passengers who are not members of the club but who reserve a spot in the overhead bin in advance will be charged $30. Only nonmembers who wait until they're at the gate to pay will be subject to the $45 charge.

Spirit, which has hubs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Detroit, Michigan, maintains that the new fee will allow the company to keep fares low by giving "customers the option of paying only for the services they want and use rather than subsidizing the choices of others."

The concept of awarding lower fees for forethought may be part of a global trend: while European discount airline Ryanair does not yet charge fliers extra to store luggage in overhead compartments, the carrier does require that all passengers check-in online prior to their flight and bring a printout of the boarding pass to the airport. Any passenger who does not print out the boarding pass in advance is slapped with a £40/€40 fee.

HuffPo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BT, you are way behind the times...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7914542.stm

Old Article saying that they are considering it, but now its official.

Ryanair is taking no-frills flights to new heights - by charging for lavatories.

All onboard toilets will become coin-operated, forcing passengers to pay £1 or one euro.

The Irish airline is also cutting the number of loos, meaning there may be only one on planes carrying 189 passengers.

It already charges customers to check in luggage, for online check-in, for onboard snacks and for credit card payments.

Ryanair's Stephen McNamara said: 'By charging for the toilets we are hoping to change passenger behaviour so that they use the bathroom before or after the flight.

'That will enable us to remove two out of three of the toilets and make way for at least six extra seats.'

The airline mooted the idea of toilet charges last year but backtracked after criticism.

It also emerged yesterday that its single bag check-in charge will rise from £15 to £20 during the summer holidays.

The £15 fee for checked-in bags will be in operation again from September.

Full Article

Normally on Air Asia if I am overweight with the check in, they ask me remove heavy things and add it to my carry on. Makes no sense to me nor cents for them.

Last week though they took stuff out of check in luggage, added to carry on, then weighed carry on!

Turns out it cost me less, but I still got charged, which was a first on Air Asia.

Archived