Govt claims plot targets King

Flashermac

A non-political figurehead is an advantage in maintaining national unity. How many Brits would prefer their country to be symbolised by Gordon Brown (or Tony Bliar) rather than the Queen? Americans even tried to turn the Kennedys into sort of "American royals" (yuck). Seems to be human nature to want someone to look up to.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Brit I would like to say something about the UK monarchy. It perpetuates a system of deference to "your betters", people who are better than you by birth. With that comes a lack of social mobility and general inequality, leading to class divisions and a failure to agree what it means to be British. Our parliamentary procedures and the role of the Queen in parliament encourage a mystique about how our political system works. Nobody really understands it so politics is best left to self appointed others who know what is best for us. With our ancient monarchy comes a national desire to look back with a fond nostalgia for all things historical. It feels like we British have such a grand history that our future doesn't matter. I think a directly elected prime minister as head of state would help to define what it means to be British in the 21st century.

Hi,

I guess this is quite different to the monarchy in Holland then, where they are really nothing more than figureheads.

Most people treat them pretty much like normal people (okay, celebrities :), but certainly no groveling on the floor as is done in certain countries we know ) and the royalty themselves doesn't really seem to be that stuck up.

They are pretty useless though :)

Sanuk!

Its strange how virtually everyone I know in the UK thinks Tony Blair is a total tosser. Yet many foreigners especially yanks seem to think the sun shines out of his arse? He spends most of his time abroad these days so thats one good thing I suppose. The system we have at present may not be perfect but its far better in my book than the thought of the likes of Blair or Brown as head of state.

Simie.

The US media presented Blair as "America's true friend" ... you'd think he was Churchill reborn. He was GWB's buddy, which is why he got GWB (and Slick Willy too, I think) honorary knighthoods. (So did Ted Kennedy, Gerry Adams' pal.) I've never yet heard a Brit say a good word about Blair - not once. Blair fought the blighters in Iraq and Afganistan - at the same time he was letting them into the UK by the millions through the front door.

:stirthepo

Archived