Routers

limbo

First a definition, can the router be the Wifi signal box?

My wifi box is a few years old and I start to have problems with my connection, sometimes it's on/off although the server is experiencing no problems and I can't access certain safe sites that previously were no problem to access.

Does one need to update or get a new router every few years?

Thanks Shygye, will try to 'blow' option.

The browser works fine with the sites in question at other locations!

Have a look at the router's settings. Maybe there is are some filters/fire wall switched on.

In regard new routers, the new routers have a much stronger signal - the new N-standard (before it was B and G) - and higher data rates. But this only helps if you have relatively new notebooks/PC's which are support N as well.

Hi,

Do you leave the router on all the time? If so, try switching it off every now and then to reset. Works for me if mine starts acting up.

Sanuk!

HiKS,

Thanks for the advice. I do leave it on for long stretches but it's also shut down when I don't use it.

First a definition, can the router be the Wifi signal box?

My wifi box is a few years old and I start to have problems with my connection, sometimes it's on/off although the server is experiencing no problems and I can't access certain safe sites that previously were no problem to access.

Does one need to update or get a new router every few years?

Limbo,

without knowing your 'wifi box' most likely it's called a router. Because it's wifi it's refered to as an Access Point or AP.

What I don't get is the server you mention. Most people don't have a server at home.

And which connection is on/off? the connection between your computer and the wifi box. Or the connection between your wifi box and the internet?

How many computers are connected to the internet through the wifi box, only one or more than one at the same time?

Said before, restarting your router might solve connection problems. Mine is always on and needs to be restarted two or three times a year.

What also may cause problems is the wifi connection itself. I recently had a case where the wifi connection between two buildings stopped working. Reason was that there was a new wifi signal in the neighbourhood that broadcasted using the same wifi channel. Changing the channel solved the problem. You may look at the available wifi networks at your place and check the channels they are using.

First a definition' date=' can the router be the Wifi signal box?

Does one need to update or get a new router every few years?[/quote']

Limbo,

without knowing your 'wifi box' most likely it's called a router. Because it's wifi it's refered to as an Access Point or AP.

What I don't get is the server you mention. Most people don't have a server at home.

[color:red]The server I mention is a server different than the one I have access to at home. I definately do not have a server at home but do have access to a server that gives me the signal[/color]

And which connection is on/off? the connection between your computer and the wifi box. Or the connection between your wifi box and the in ternet?

How many computers are connected to the internet through the wifi box, only one or more than one at the same time?

[color:red]The connection between my wifi box or router and the internet is on/off, the connection between computer and router works just fine, only one computer at a time is connected, the signal is secured and I'm the only one using it[/color]

Said before, restarting your router might solve connection problems. Mine is always on and needs to be restarted two or three times a year.

[color:red]Mine gets restarted at least once a day[/color]

What also may cause problems is the wifi connection itself. I recently had a case where the wifi connection between two buildings stopped working. Reason was that there was a new wifi signal in the neighbourhood that broadcasted using the same wifi channel. Changing the channel solved the problem. You may look at the available wifi networks at your place and check the channels they are using.

[color:red]That's an interesting point, no idea how to do that though[/color]

[color:red]The connection between my wifi box or router and the internet is on/off[/color]

sorry for being late to reply.

The problem is between your router and the internet. Ok.

Does your router have the broadband modem built in, or is there an extra modem between your router and the internet? Either way, I suspect the modem causing the problem.

If it is rented from the ISP request a replacement. Otherwise try to connect a different modem. Maybe you have someone to borrow it. So you know this was really the problem before you go and buy new.

You said the wifi connection between your computer and your router is working without problems. So no need to change channels for the wifi.

A couple things come to mind. If you are on Windows 7, home groups use IPV6, so if your router does not support IPV6, you will have some problem sharing with Windows 7.

As far as not being able to access some reputable sites. Are you using bit torrent and using Peer Block or the older Peer Guardian? Peer Block not only has site that monitor your usage in its list but a lot of sites that are seemingly inocuous. Just an example of different sites I cannot access with Peer Block on, Reuters, many other news sites, mgoblue (university of Michigan sports site, go figure), and on the other end of the spectrum, facialforums.net. So while Peer Block does help, especially since many (most) of the service providers here seem to slow down bit torrent (I found this documented, true or not, in several places), it also blocks a lot of legitimate sites as well. If you use it, turn it off and see if you can't access any of those sites.

Archived