Buying a Cellular Phone

Savittre

I'd like to buy a cell phone (mobile phone, hand phone, whatever you want to call them!). I'm not working and I think having one may help employers contact me (or vice versa).

I know nothing about these phones, have seldom ever used one. Here are the points on my mind:

1. I'd like to get one that offers a reasonable choice of the features these phones offer for a fair price. In other words, get one that offers best value for money. That doesn't mean the cheapest, it means best bang for the buck. How much would I expect to pay? For the phone, and per month?

2. Does brand name matter? Or is it the features offered that count? Actually a BG told me she thought Nokia was superior to Siemens, for example, and she talked like she really knew.

3. I want one that I can use to call multiple countries, and use in multiple countries.

4. I love technology (ask me about computers and computer networking, OK, but I haven't done my homework on these phones- yet) My point is, once I get one, I'll go through the documentation until I understand 100% of what the machine is capable of doing, I'm not someone who will only use it to make calls and not understand or care about the other 97% of the machines capability. Given that this is my attitude, what would be a good phone for me?

TIA

Assuming you are based in BKK, and you want to use the phone overseas you would need to get international roaming account only available under a Thai name full service account.

As for what phone to buy, check out the AIS, DTAC and TA Orange sites for their prices and features. The products are competitively priced and you get what you pay for. If you want built in IR, fax modem, blue tooth, GPRS, mp3 player, FM radio player or just a plain old phone you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

your BG was right - Nokia are much better than other phones in terms of the software and menu systems on their phones

- very intuitive user interface and easy to quickly get needed data/numbers

"Poster: Palatkik

Subject: Re: Buying a Cellular Phone

Assuming you are based in BKK, and you want to use the phone overseas you would need to get international roaming account only available under a Thai name full service account "

That is incorrect. AIS 1-2-Call can now call abroad.

>Assuming you are based in BKK, and you want to use the phone overseas you would need to get international roaming account only available under a Thai name full service account "

>>That is incorrect. AIS 1-2-Call can now call abroad.

I think you misunderstood - or I did! I was referring to the original posters requirement of needing to take his hand phone overseas and use it there. You need IR for that. One-2-Call only works in Thailand, but you are correct in that is does international out/in calls.

Cheers,

I have to agree with every one about Nokias they have a easy to use interface, and the reception has always been good compared to others I have used. However I don't like the fact that all the new ones make that "kresuk" "kresuk" sound when you press a key, and you have to pay a bit more for one with gprs, and they don't have serial cabel or external antenna hook ups as far as I can see.

I bought an Ericsson T39m a few months back for less than USD200. It had all the features I wanted in a phone which were: a RS232 cabel, an antenna jack, gprs, triband, and documented use under Linux. I like the way the keys are back lit - the light is in the shape of the letters rather than the key illuminated and the letters dark. I dont have large hands but I find the T39 just on the edge of small and usable. The interface is not so intuitive as that of a Nokia, the modem resets sometimes, and the OS can be a bit slow some times.

Otherwise I have no complaints, the provider that offers GPRS has yet to begin charging for it, so based on my normal telco charges I reckon the phone has paid for itself. The other phones that I was looking at in the ~USD200 range were the Siemans *45s, the MOT L series. Ericsson T65

Tri band is only usefull if you intend to use your handset on gsm networks in the US or Canada. I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't have GPRS if you ever plan to check e-mail or use WAP, even if the networks haven't got thier acts together about GPRS and roaming. Even though most laptops have IR ports I still prefer using the serial cabel (now they are dropping serial ports from laptops), and if it gives you an alternative if IR isn't working or is non existant.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. It's good information for me to have. Some of the acronyms you use, I don't know what they mean- e.g. gprs, WAP and so on- But let me put it this way: Yeah, I am a technology nut. If these phones have, for example, 50 special features you can use, but 99% of us only use 10 of those features regularly (kinda like Microsoft Word, you know?) I'd like to know what the 10 most commonly used features are, and this is not limited to simply making and receiving phone calls. I don't have my own computer at the moment (this unemployment thing is a drag!) but will get one once I'm back on my feet, employment-wise. And from what I read, these phones are becoming more integrated with PC's? Again, thanks! Other than that, I'll just dig into Nokia's website. I expect to be using the phone in the S.E. Asia area most of the time.

Aloha...I am still confused, I live 10 days a month in Bangkok and have a Voicesteam USA phone (sucks in my opinion) and would like a Thailand phone/number. Walking into the DTAC phonemart sort of places I can't seem to be able to buy a phone that will call and receive international calls. I have all the credit requirements...AMEX etc. but no luck. I do not have a work permit. So, can I buy a phone with a thai number that will meet my requirements, yes or no. And if yes, where. Thanks, samuijim. Still dazzed and confused in Bangkok after

MANY years.

Archived