Buying a Cellular Phone

Savittre

Jim,

Yes, you can.

As of one or two weeks ago, any phone using the AIS pre-paid ("cash card") system -- AIS 1-2-Call -- can receive and make international calls.

You'll find the 1-2-Call deal everywhere: The phones are being sold in green packages. Very easy to spot.

More info at the AIS website:

http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/eng/

Cheers,

Straycat

Thank you both for your reply. I'm back on the 23 of April and will make it my mission to find and buy the least expensive phone they will sell ANYONE, that works both locally and international. I will then post here the best easiest and cheapest way for anyone to do this. Thanks again, jim

Is there a time limit on the free cals? I mean do you have to use them within a certain time frame? I want to get a phone to use when I am in LOS. Sso I think prepaid is the way to go for me. Did you plan allow you to make and receive international calls? Where did you get it etc...Thanks.

There was a time limit on the free calls. I think it was something like 100 days. I don't know if the free calls offer is still available.

The international calling is available with all AIS one-2-call phones (prepaid). I got a Motorola T180 for 3900 baht. You can get these phones in virtually any mobile phone shop. The price is fixed and non-negotiable.

These phones are cheap and I thoroughly recommend to get one if you visit LOS regularly.

BTW You will have to watch the expiry dates on your calltime refill cards otherwise you will lose your telephone number and have to buy a new SIM card (1200 baht).

If you visit LOS twice year you may have to buy a 1500 baht card valid for 200 days each trip. If you visit LOS say every 4 months then you can get a 800 baht card + a 300 baht card which is valid for 130 days each trip. Add on to these days a 37 day suspension period before the telephone number is disconnected.

What about the Tri Band phones? Anyone have any luck bringing their GSM triband from the US or Europe and getting a Thai SIM card working in it.

I know that theoretically it will work. However, I have heard that AIS does something funky with their sim cards and phones so that only AIS phones will accept AIS sim cards. I have also heard that you can take your foreign triband into MBK and get it modified to work but then it won't work with foreign sim cards.

Next question. Are there triband phones available in Thailand and are they reasonably prices compared to the US or Europe. Will they accept foreign sim cards?

> Is there a time limit on the free cals?

Yes there is. The web sites everyone has mentioned would list latest plans . (I am having trouble keeping up with them all!).

Basically if you don't pay up within a grace period of the time limit they cut off your number and have to buy a new one.

Cheers

@Alfalfa

I use a motorola timeport 260 Tri band phone and yes I had to change the IMEI number for that phone at mbk otherwise u can't use a thai sim card. I use AIS one-2-call and it works great.

Back in the US I still use my voicestream sim card without any problems and in germany I use my german sim cards also no problems.

I think u will get a tri band phone in thailand but I don't know the prices but I'm sure you will get it cheaper oversees. A good way to check the prices are ebay (or better ebay.de coz in the US GSM phones with a sim card are not so common :-( )

Archived