Coverage of the crisis by foreign medias?

drogon

Don't know for your 'favorite medias' but the selection, websites of well-known EU newspapers, I usually read every morning is quite astonishing.

Not so much the articles, which are suprisingly quite objective and better informed than usual, but the reactions by the readers.

At least 3 of these news websites have a vast majority of posts openly pro reds (poor courageous people fighting against the evil military governement like at Tiananmen)

Seems that some of the posters are expats or at least know very well some Thai things.

I mean I am astonished to read plenty of posters openly supporting the reds, believing they are right to fight (and piss off the local Thais an expats, chase tourists etc...) while the articles themselves say quite the contrary.

While every subject/article on these websites launch a controversy, this is usually 50/50% of opinions in one direction or the other.

Here, almost unanimous, the morons say the government is bad, the poor reds are good and terrorism is a good thing to use against the so bad army...

I knew the world is fucked up but it keeps on suprising me.

End of rant

:susel:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed the same thing. Newspapers are heavily invested in the status quo. They need advertizers so their bottom line is maintaining social stability. On the other hand there are lots of people out there who feel they have no voice...look at the Tea Parties in the US. Being allowed to comment anonymously gives them a chance to let off steam. Kind of like Thai360. :wink:

Schools and universities can teach knowledge, but teaching someone to think is a very difficult task.

:(

A lot of well educated intelligent Thais believe the Reds have legitimate grievances.

It's just that you well educated intelligent Farangs don't seem to be able to convince them otherwise.

A lot of well educated intelligent Thais believe the Reds have legitimate grievances.

It's just that you well educated intelligent Farangs don't seem to be able to convince them otherwise.

Yes the poor of Thailand have legitimate grievances. The reds are abusing those grievances and those people to further their own agenda.

That is what I have a problem with! Not with the people and their grievances. Their legitimate grievances are now being abused in a very ILlegitimate way to try and overthrow a legitimate government!

W

I think nobody every questioned that injustice and double standards exist in Thailand and that the 'elites' of experience preferred treatment.

But:

1. This is not a particular Thai phenomena. It is even worse in other Asean countries like the Philippines, Indonesia not even to speak about Cambodia and Laos.

2. The red shirts lost all there credibility to fight for 'true' democracy by choosing Thaksin as their hero and leader.

3. They claim to be be absolutely unarmed and restrain from violence. So what happened today? Why did they come out and charged the military in various battles outside their protest side. It has been clearly them looking for aggression.

Archived