Coverage of the crisis by foreign medias?

drogon

A lot of well educated intelligent Thais believe the Reds have legitimate grievances.

It's just that you well educated intelligent Farangs don't seem to be able to convince them otherwise.

I think nobody every questioned that injustice and double standards exist in Thailand and that the 'elites' of experience preferred treatment.

But:

1. This is not a particular Thai phenomena. It is even worse in other Asean countries like the Philippines' date=' Indonesia not even to speak about Cambodia and Laos.

2. The red shirts lost all there credibility to fight for 'true' democracy by choosing Thaksin as their hero and leader.

3. They claim to be be absolutely unarmed and restrain from violence. So what happened today? Why did they come out and charged the military in various battles outside their protest side. It has been clearly them looking for aggression.

[/quote']

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schools and universities can teach knowledge' date=' but teaching someone to think is a very difficult task.

:(

[/quote']

A lot of well educated intelligent Thais believe the Reds have legitimate grievances.

It's just that you well educated intelligent Farangs don't seem to be able to convince them otherwise.

Agree. The problem comes because they feel they are getting screwed and have nothing to lose. Anarchy is the result of people failing to reason and compromise. Whatever the cause/legitimacy, the world is now watching, and this is no longer an internal matter.

I am actually enjoying the news coverage of this, as it tends to be less angry and biased than the "reporting here." Many of the farang experts have all said this "...would end quietly the Thai way...when the money runs out, after all Thaksin is paying these people..." Clearly this hasn't happened yet. There is a good chance at least some of these people are hard core committed to the cause and willing to stick it out. "...when you got nothing, you got nothing to lose..."

Exactly my point. Add to that all the reports that the reds were NOT getting the salary promised...all the dissension in the ranks...yet they are still there, facing an uncertain end, maybe death...clearly the experts have some of this wrong.

This is a Thai fight, it doesn't concern us, all we can do is sit back and watch. It is fun and interesting to discuss this and all, but at the end of the day we mean nothing in all of it. We really cannot understand any of this as we are not Thais, and have no real deep rooted personal interest in it all, any interest most of us would have would be self interest, not for the good of the country as seen by Thais.

There is hardcore group of maybe 1000 to 2000 radicals among the red shirts. I don't know about their motivation.

But the masses of normal protesters cheered when the road map has been accepted and they could go home soon.

I walk through their camp on Rajadamri every day and i talked to several. Many told they are only here because the village leader told them to join and they were promised money. Indeed they have gotten nothing but their ID's taken away. Further red shirt propaganda says that if they leave Ratchaprsong they will be shot be the military on.

sound familiar ?

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

We'll be fighting in the streets

With our children at our feet

And the morals that they worship will be gone

And the men who spurred us on

Sit in judgment of all wrong

They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Of course they cheered. They thought they'd got a deal. Must be something more than money and fear keeping them there though. My guess hatred of the Bangkok elite might be a big factor.

They did have a deal. Didn't they? Or was that another evil manipulation of the poor and downtrodden by the Bangkok elite?

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure Chuck. They've committed themselves to a herd and aren't acting under individual autonomy to the same degree as your average schmuck on the street.

They've also been sitting in horrible heat for a month, listening to an endless cycle of hate speeches by their leaders and blocking out dissenting voices -- all this time under the cloud of potential violence. I'd go out on a limb and say that by now a lot of them are a little fucked in the head.

Which is what, imho, some want.

Archived