What to expect from Thaksin's new lobbyist Robert Amsterdam

LizardKing

Funny -- some seemed concerned about whatever effect this guy might have. Ouch. Is Thaksin low on funds? Is that the best mouthpiece he can buy? I've seen a lotta talking heads, and that was pretty damn weak. If that's his boy, I'd say his expectations better be pretty low -- unless he has some other skill that's not related to persuading people via the media.

She had the chance to go in for the kill though and blew it: She asked him if he was funding the protest. He replied "I have no idea" and immediately switched to his usual "that's not the point" -- she could have easily cut him off and followed that up with "so you have not asked him this obvious question?"

A Stephen Sakur type would have added "Sir I am startled that you would not understand the significance of whether or not the protestors were being paid to be there".. .or if Amsterdam said "that's not the point" to interrupt with "That is the point of a lot of people who live in Thailand now whose city is a war zone at the moment" or something like that.

You are 100% correct of course. But this is the shining example of what we have for extraordinary journalists in 2010...

Given that, she did a FAR better job than CNN or BBC or any of the other "biggies." Hence the kudos.

And for those doubting this snake's bona-fides, look into the Youkos case in Russia. He made a virtual death sentence go away, in a country he cannot practice law in. Slightly impressive.

You are 100% correct of course. But this is the shining example of what we have for extraordinary journalists in 2010...

Given that, she did a FAR better job than CNN or BBC or any of the other "biggies." Hence the kudos.

And for those doubting this snake's bona-fides, look into the Youkos case in Russia. He made a virtual death sentence go away, in a country he cannot practice law in. Slightly impressive.

Right. I expect with Thaksin he'll be needing to utilize some of those other skills not on display in this particular clip at least. Also I expect it's not so much about his oratory skills as about the style in which he's able to grease palms and possibly play chess pieces off one another. Actually Thailand (like Russia) is pretty fertile ground for that sort of thing.

Archived