How's Your Area?

cavanami

A friend in Khon Kaen rang me on Skype and said he saw bodies in a police pick up after an attack on an MPs house.

Strangely quiet in Surin. Considering the areas around us, except Buriram, have had a lot of Red Shirt problems, I am surprised nothing violent has happened here from our own red shirt faction. Family tells me they are afraid of the cops up here, and many of our own red shirts are down in BKK now anyway, so maybe problems to come later once they are back up here? Who knows?

Cent

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live off soi Rangnaam. Center 1 mall burned down, still on fire at the building next door. Century Park Hotel is on the next street, across from me. Snipers and fire in building next door, windows blown out of bottom floor. 7-11 around the corner, as well as adjacent shops, looted and gutted. Dead guy in front of my apartment a few days ago. Coupe of guys shot, 1 dead, around the corner while looking out from their apartment.

I've left the area and am in curfewed PTY.

I live off soi Rangnaam. Center 1 mall burned down, still on fire at the building next door. Century Park Hotel is on the next street, across from me. Snipers and fire in building next door, windows blown out of bottom floor. 7-11 around the corner, as well as adjacent shops, looted and gutted. Dead guy in front of my apartment a few days ago. Coupe of guys shot, 1 dead, around the corner while looking out from their apartment.

Damn ... I know that area well. Very quiet in north Bangkok, but lots of traffic. Went to Tops and everyone is loading up on groceries. Looks like nothing has been delivered today though - no bread, no fresh meat, light on veggies and even milk. Newspapers hard to find - many probably not being printed. Those that appear are quickly snapped up. Got a red shirt taxi driver who told me how terrible the government is and that the army has "killed at least 1,000". Yeah, right. Oddly enough, he said Matichon is the only newspaper to trust. It happens to be the one educated Thais read. Interesting that the reds say Thai Rot, Daily News etc lie. They used to be the proles' favourite.

The air is clear and no smoky scent any more.

Archived