Early Elections?

BaronTT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell you friend to wake up, he probably got the most honest government, Thailand has ever had, right now.

For sure, the RED Shirts, do not have the answer.

Wait for the next election, and vote his choice, same as I am doing here in the states.

Talking to former rural Thais who are now educated middle class folks, it seems the former.

These people/families have been in power for generations. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely?

But what do I know?

I like to think it's more nuanced than that but what do I know either. The poo yai have to keep the majority either happy or living in fear. Back to the point.....if there is any chance for reconciliation these are the people Ahbisit has to connect with.

Talking to former rural Thais who are now educated middle class folks' date=' it seems the former.

These people/families have been in power for generations. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely?

But what do I know?[/quote']

I like to think it's more nuanced than that but what do I know either. Back to the point.....if there is any chance for reconciliation these are the people Ahbisit has to connect with.

I think the point he is trying to make, is the PAD, have been, the people of power in the past, and the current government, is their tool. Only Thaksin, represented the North nd Northeast interests.

I do not see it that way, he used them, as stooges, as he is now, for short money.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I've lived in Bangkok and Chiang Mai so I have a vague idea how things work. The pressure has been building for years and now it's been released. Ahbisit can begin a process of reconciliation, not sure how, or he can crack down harder. I don't think he wants to do that and the army may not go along anyway. I think his best bet is to get the trust of the poo yai/local leaders. The hardcore will still be angry but they'll be sidelined. Dismissing the poo yai as a power hungry mafia isn't helpful IMO.

(This has been a pragmatic post from a Westerner who isn't involved....from a safe distance ;) )

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I've lived in Bangkok and Chiang Mai so I have a vague idea how things work. The pressure has been building for years and now it's been released. Ahbisit can begin a process of reconciliation, not sure how, or he can crack down harder. I don't think he wants to do that and the army may not go along anyway. I think his best bet is to get the trust of the poo yai/local leaders. The hardcore will still be angry but they'll be sidelined. Dismissing the poo yai as a power hungry mafia isn't helpful IMO.

(This has been a pragmatic post from a Westerner who isn't involved....from a safe distance ;) )

Would Cracking Down, involve bring to justice, law breakers, hoodums and thugs ?

Would you consider, bring to justice those who are responsible for all the deaths and Arson, cracking down?

All, he can do, is to be true to the law of the land.

If they do not like it, too bad. Without law, you can not have a civilize society that could be fair to all.

The PM's oath to the country, is to uphold the law. He should not step down, till his job is finished.

He's going to have to arrest an awful lot of people. You know Thailand. Will they go quietly? Will the local police and army units cooperate? Will there be gangs roving around blowing stuff up? Will Ahbisit be seen as weak if he doesn't crack down? Stay tuned.

At this point, he has no choice.

Even the army and police, have made a commitments. They can not stop now, or they will will end up with the shitty end of the stick.

If they ever want to be anything but a third world country, people have to stand up and do the right thing, or it goes on forever.

Does he have the stomach, to do it, I do not know.

Fuck, I do not like OBAMA, and I have to wait 2 1/2 more years. No matter how many banks or 7 11 I burn down, will change it.

To give in th the old school corrupt, money grubbing, village head men, around the country get you no where. They will just pass on, and a new crook will take his place.

Sooner, or later, you got say STOP, its wrong.

Any country other than Thailand I might agree. but they might surprise us. What's happened has left people stunned on both sides I think. Thais are being forced to think (they hate doing that). Maybe it will be cathartic and all Thais will step back. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Any country other than Thailand I might agree. but they might surprise us. What's happened has left people stunned on both sides I think. Thais are being forced to think (they hate that). Maybe it will be cathartic and all Thais will step back. I'm trying to be optimistic.

There is nothing mystical about Thailand and its people. Like in other countries, that have better than their fair share, of poor.

Education, is the only things that will bring them the better life, along with peace, happiness, prosperity and traquilty, everyone, everywhere seeks.

Archived