Early Elections?

BaronTT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

Maybe an odd idea, but what about the government broadcasting (TV, radio, newspaper, internet) every project they are spending money on once a week?

Full disclosure, i.e.:

resurface the road in XXX, budget: YYY Baht

build a school in VVV, budget: WWW Baht

Wouldn't this undercut the options a puu yai baan has to skim off the top?

Or am I being too naive here?

Sanuk!

Maybe, I am naive, I expect, the government budget and dispersements are public record. Just gotta know where to look. I do not, nor can I read Thai.

Hi,

"the government budget and dispersements are public record"

Right, but how many people would bother to look it up? Much easier to listen to someone else putting blame at the feet of the government I suppose.

Hence my suggestion of making it very easy for everyone to find out. No idea if it is viable though to post it up to the detail required for those in the villages to understand if - and if so where - money is going missing.

Sanuk!

I think when some people say Thais need education they mean they need educating in the ways of democracy.

:yeahthat:

Thank you my good sir for backing up what I have been saying, or more to the point repeating what my Thai associates have beem saying, all along.

In Julian2 "Rural Farang" Thread I made exactly the very same point and highlighted the fact that the comments "Rural Thai's Are too stupid to Vote" was a misinterpritation of "Rural Thai's need educating about the democratic process"

Many can not afford transport to the high school after grammar school. There is no free school bus system to transport students. :twocents:

When I first came here, only finishing the 4th grade was required. (Doesn't sound like much, but it was a lot tougher than 4th grade nowadays. One had to pass a literacy test, plus know simple arithmetic and a bit of biology to get out.) It soon was raised to 6th grade and village schools accordingly added the 2 extra years. Now that a minimum of 9 years is required, rural schools go to the 9th grade.

But going beyond that can cause problems to farm folks, namely the expense of transportation or even housing for students who want to finish grades 10-12. My Mrs lived with her big sister in the city to complete secondary school.

"Hence my suggestion of making it very easy for everyone to find out. No idea if it is viable though to post it up to the detail required for those in the villages to understand if - and if so where - money is going missing."

Can not hurt to make the information, more easily availabe. Maybe, in a Thai newspaper, so that at least the educated at the grass root level, can spread the word, that lies are being told to them.

Not sure about early - but on time would be proper.

And really, now is the time for the government to address the underlying issues of some of the actual protesters.

And I don't mean the Democratic party - but the government.

And yes, I'm aware that they have already started some specific policies - so let's continue and go full speed ahead.

Justice for the leaders is also important, and the hooligans / actual criminal element among them.

Leniency for the passive protesters.

But - the govt have so much to do just to clean up the mess - so pressure from all sides is needed to keep them on the roadmap.

Cheers!

In hope you are right.. :up:

I think when some people say Thais need education they mean they need educating in the ways of democracy.

:yeahthat:

Thank you my good sir for backing up what I have been saying' date=' or more to the point repeating what my Thai associates have beem saying, all along.

In Julian2 "Rural Farang" Thread I made exactly the very same point and highlighted the fact that the comments "Rural Thai's Are too stupid to Vote" was a misinterpritation of "Rural Thai's need educating about the democratic process" [/quote']

Right but you can see where it leads to charges of Western arrogance, foreign meddling etc.. And is Western democracy everybody's ideal system? I'm just saying...

Archived