160 Baht for 1 Singha- Elvis- Walking St!!!!!

Savittre

Hi Guys,

Tonight I went in to the Elvis impersonator place on Walking Street, Pattaya. I ordered one Singha beer, and when it arrived, I asked how much it cost. Honestly, I don't remember the answer, but I can tell you that if I'd been told 160 Baht, I would have remembered that!!

Elvis' set ended before I had finished my beer, so I wanted to go. I had been to see him before, in March, 2010, and I believe beer cost 110 Baht then. Maybe it was 95. Anyway, I handed the waitress one hundred Baht note and one twenty Baht note- 120 Baht altogether.

I thought that would pay for the Singha and a tip, but I was wrong!!

As I proceeded to the exit, 2 staff of the establishment grabbed and physically restrained me from leaving. I wasn't trying to run away, I didn't know there was any problem at all, I thought I'd paid for my drink plus a tip, and they put their hands on me, as I described.

ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BAHT!! ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BAHT!!

This is what they yelled at me.

They could have done this politely, rather than physically grabbing me and yelling at me.

They didn't.

I asked twice for a receipt. This was refused.

So guys, am I posting this because I'm pissed off at the way I was treated? You bet!

But, if you would like to be treated the way I was, now you know where to go.

And, if you want to pay 160 Baht for one Singha beer at the Elvis impersonator place, you can!!

Personally speaking, I think this is an absolutely idiotic way to do business.

Shygye, your comment and your choice of emoticon suggest that what happened to me was both trite and laughable.

The way I was treated was totally wrong, unnecessary, and it could potentially have gotten a lot more fucking serious than it did. :susel:

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but even in the west one wouldn't pay a bill without asking or looking at what the amount of the bill was.

But as you say, you'd only been there a few months ago, and assumed nothing had changed much.

Are you saying they definitely did not give you a checkbin when they served you the beer?

I agree with you in that I don't frequent these ridiculously high priced bars. Years ago someone showed me a receipt for a small Heineken beer at Pattaya Hard Rock Cafe.. something like 360 baht = base price + VAT + service charge

I agree with you also that it could have been handled more diplomatically by the staff "Excuse me sir,..." without the getting physical.

Thanks for the warning.

:beer:

Hmm,

Robaus and I seem to be in partical agreement for once.

I handed the waitress one hundred Baht note and one twenty Baht note- 120 Baht altogether.

I thought that would pay for the Singha and a tip, but I was wrong!!

As I proceeded to the exit, 2 staff of the establishment grabbed and physically restrained me from leaving. I wasn't trying to run away, I didn't know there was any problem at all, I thought I'd paid for my drink plus a tip, and they put their hands on me, as I described.

ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BAHT!! ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BAHT!!

This is what they yelled at me.

So you THOUGHT that 120 Baht would cover the bill without actualy bothering to look at it, or did you hand over 120 Baht and walk away without even asking for the Bill?

I am in no way condoning the actions of the staff but maybe (note I said maybe) you came across as arogant towards them. Any shortcomings on checkbins are deducted from their salaries, to them USD1 maybe the equivalent of 10% of their evenings salary where as to a westerner it probably equates to 5% of 1 Hours Earnings maximum.

Get over it

You best stay away from all Thai bars. You short the tab and you'll be abruptly stopped. Sure they were rude and impolite, but the anger you harbor only harms you!

Always keep track of the checkbin and wait for the wai from the dek server when you pay. :bangit:

Archived