RIP Doris Eaton Travis

shygye

Link

... on Tuesday the last Ziegfeld Girl died. She was Doris Eaton Travis, and she was 106. She died of an aneurysm in Commerce, Mich., a nephew, Joe Eaton, said. ...

Mrs. Travis may have been the youngest Ziegfeld Girl ever, having lied about her age to begin dancing at 14. She was part of a celebrated family of American stage performers known as “the seven little Eatons.†George Gershwin played on her family’s piano, and Charles Lindbergh dropped by for “tea,†Prohibition cocktails. ...

In a lot of ways...those "wild girls/folks" from long ago were maybe, relatively speaking, far more wild than some of us today. Figure that was a time when there was supposed to be no sex, premarital, or post! birth control wasn't what it was, and one bad word or scandle could cost you a career or a job...shit in some cases I suppose we are as fucked up and puritanical today as we were than...in any event, the old broad probably had a great life, and I hope she left behind a few or more good stories!

I remember my Nan telling me and my girlfriend t the time, both of us 18 or 19, my girlfriend loved my Nan's old dresses from when she was 20.

My Nan then turns to us and says

"You young kids think you so wild and crazy, living together not married, I'd tell you but your parents don't want me too, but when I was a young flapper I was as wild if not wilder than either of you!"

Given my Nan was a pretty controversial editor (very early female editor) we didn't doubt, just sat there kinda shocked that GASP my Nan had SEX, and lots of it. She made no effort to hide it.

Saw an interview with Hugh Heffner, in it he was talking about some guy saying "...these kids will really appreciate the sexual freedom you/we gave them..." Heff's reply was "...no, they will take it for granted, they don't know how oppressive it once was, so they can't put it into context and really appreciate it...the ones who broke the rules and taboos before us were the real wild characters...there were after all more rules to break back then..."

Yeah. It's difficult to get shock value in any kind of pop art. Probably was a hell of a lot more fun and risky before. Rebellion, from a cultural standpoint, has become a generic marketing term (much like indpendent).

Which kinda sucks. I think it's part of the reason why a lot of contemporary music, film, etc., has lost potency. To say there is rebellion in sex, drugs, and rock today would be laughable.

So, I put the question to you OH -- what does it all mean???? :)

Ps. shirt got shipped. today.

Archived