Dennis Hopper RIP

Redbaron

Was sad to read about this when I woke up this morning. Don't know much about him as a person, but as an artist he left an impressive body of work that had a significant impact on people's lives. I've watched Blue Velvet and Easy Rider too many times, starting when I was about 12 (when I didn't really understand them like I do now, kinda). That ain't no joke.

RIP Mr Hopper.

Ps. Yep, Shygye is gonna be pissed. ;)

Life Magazine.

I recall reading about Dennis Hopper a few/couple years after Easy Rider. Some studio gave him a movie to direct in South/Central America. And I think it became one big drug party. I think the movie bombed. The Last Movie ?

Anyway, he didn't do much until Apocalypse Now and even then I think he was still on drugs. But a fine piece of acting. Classic Hopper at his best.

A true anti-establishment type - it was funny seeing him play generals in movies and on the tele.

He seemed to hang in there and kept working. I suppose real talent and persistence.

:rip::rip:

Two RIP's for this guy.

THE PHOTOGRAPHER

I loved Dennis Hoppper. He was one of a few actors who could take just about any role and make it their own and interesting. I would say him, Harvey Keitel, Christopher Walken, Samuel Jackson and possibly a couple others have that ability.

You just knew their personal life was just as odd or weird. One of those actors you'd love to spend a night hanging out with in Hollywood, Vegas or even Peorgia, Illinois because it would be memorable.

He took a lot of roles late in life on just for the paycheck it seems but even when he did he was intersting.

Hopper Interview Vid

Hopper then married singer Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas – a union that lasted eight days. “The first seven were pretty good,†recalls Hopper, even though Phillips suggested that the actor consider suicide.

Finally, he was captured running naked and hysterical in a South American jungle -- and was briefly institutionalized.

Am I the only one who feels old when I read another obituary for a face we knew from the 60s/70s/early 80s ?

I particularly loved Hopper in Apocalypse Now - just where the acting stopped and the crazy man began was impossible to judge, but I agree with others that he made every role interesting simply by being in a given shot. Sad to see anyone taken out by prostate cancer, but particularly so in the case of someone who could easily have been found face down after a party. Jim Thompson had the right idea - disappear in the jungle and leave the rest of the world wandering what the hell happened.

RIP.

Archived