Mercury falling: Ford eliminates mid-range brand

cavanami

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The U.S. carmakers cut their own throats back in the '70s with arrogance and downright chicanery. They made some shoddy cars that they knew would not last believing that Americans would stay brand loyal and buy the latest model. It was true that families stayed loyal to brands. However, putting out a shoddy product was unethical. Got stuck with the acronym F.O.R.D. - Fix Or Repair Daily. The Japanese to their credit focused on quality and market share. Although they weren't saints either and would undercut the market at a loss to increase market share.

The car companies again didn't see the writing of the wall of the fluctuations of oil prices upwards with the SUVs and such.

The american car maker is dead. They aren't even American any longer. Well Chrysler isn't and in time I expect the American car makers to go the way of VCR makers (and now DVD players) and be taken over by foreign companies. (GE, RCA, et.al, used to make VCRs).

...and yes, its one of many examples why America is gone. The America we think is, isn't.

CS,

:-) Here's a couple more we had for FORD.

FORD = Fucking Old Rebuilt Dodge

or my fav- FORD = Found On Road Dead

:-)

I was still with GE when Nicor was under construction. GE supplied all (most of?) the motors and control systems...but that entire division of GE was sold to Toshiba! Another icon of the steel industry gone, never to return!!

Are you sure? I can't find anything that says GE sold the motors and control divison to Toshiba.

General Electric timeline

Motors and controls are still listed in the product line on the GE website.

GE Products

TH

Got stuck with the acronym F.O.R.D. - Fix Or Repair Daily.

CS' date='

:-)[/quote']

Never heard of those. Funny...lol.

I have to admit. Unless i got a super deal I am wary of buying American. The Saturn was decent and I had one once. However, I'm wary of American made cars with a preference for Japanese cars. I know a few people who will not buy anything but Japanese made cars because of their track record. Auto repair costs are astronomical nowadays. I had a friend at a church I went to who had his own shop and said, mechanics don't let you leave without spending over a hundred for just about everthing including minor repairs. Its just not feaible below that. That's why a simple oil change comes with some dire advice to change some belt or thingamajing that afer labor will cost well over a hundred.

Has anyone on here living in the states remained brand loyal to an American brand?

On a more ominous note. The once all powerful american industria base has decreased to the point we can't really can't really ourselves an 'ndustrial' country any more and we have been saying we're a 'service economy' for some tme now. Even that is threatened. Call centers are being moved overseas. I heard that even some government functions (once heard CAs DMV or a portion of it) had their calls routed to India.

Its now a running joke to ask an Indian rep half a world away about your credit card problems.

I hate being so negative. I'm naturally a happy go lucky type of person. I swear...lol...but I really see no way back for America.

This past economic crisis has changed the scope of the American worker. Everyone is scared and is willing to put up with more and accept less from employers than they would have otherwise before the crisis.

The economy will come back to some extent but what kind of life will it be for the average worker?

You're going to need to do someting on the side it seems. My brother makes a some money on eBay. Anywhere from several hundred to a couple grand a month. Not bad. He has a system. Buys name brand iems from second hand stores. Makes a lot of his money on shipping as the shipping alone sometimes cost more than what he paid for it and the actual sale amount is gravy.

The government as it stands now does more harm than good since its controlled by special interests.

Can someone, anyone, give me any ray of hope? I don't see us coming back as strong after this crisis is over. I see us still on that slippery slope in decline.

:-)

A Few More

Factory Ordered Road Disaster

Flip Over Read Directions

Four Old Rusted Doors

Fixed On Race Day

Ford Owner Really Dumb

For Only Retarded Drivers

Found On Russian Dump

For Off Road Death

Fat Old Rusted Dog

Found On Roadside's Destroyed

Found On Railroad Deserted

Favorite Of Redneck Drivers

Fast Only Rolling Downhill

And my Fave

Failure Of Research & Development

I thought Mercury went before Pontiac, and that was years ago ! I lusted after various musclecars for a long time, but they just dont make sense in Oz - big, heavy cars that chew through way too much expensive fossil fuels. Many lust after the 1970 Plymouth Cuda, but my favourite was the model before that:

http://moparmailinglist.net/content/photos/scaled/342.jpg

Most people preferred the fastback models, but the notchback is more practical unless you really want to barbecue your rearseat passengers:

http://www.dodgechallenger.net/images/69cuda-5.jpg

Never wanted a Hemi model or even a big block - the 340 small block was the engine to have, mated to that pistol-grip driven 4-speed and a cabin with more vinyl than Old Hippie's basement.

Archived