Populism, the opiate of a 'drugged' people

ThaiHome

Me attack Obama? Moi? If I attack Obama, people will know it. 55555555555

I was merely making a point that populist politics is not exclusively a Thai "thing" and how it has been/currently can be observed in the U.S. In fact, the players seem to be the same, just different casts.

Pardon me for asking if other countries experience similar. :bow:

Khun Ratchada...let us know when you're released from the drunk tank.

HH

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw - I'm familiar with Godwin's Law but couldn't resist.

That is an actual billboard from LOS -- I don't know what the caption says.

And yes, uncle Adolf was popular at the time he was elected.

His electability has since waned.

I think you missed my point entirely.

I wasn't implying that it's somehow "wrong" or undesirable to borrow words from other languages, just that when you do it, you should admit that's what you're doing...which the Thais do not, generally. And whether the Thais admit or not, certainly the author of the article (which is, let's remember, what I was commenting on) was painting the new word as a Thai (as opposed to English) word.

Funny you should mention the Cambodians, they created a whole movement in the late 60s/early 70s, called "Khmerization," where they set out (their words) "to replace French influence on Cambodian language with KHMER words"...again, all Sanskrit/Pali stuff.

And in the Khmer case, 60% of their "new words" were Sanskrit/Pali roots and affixes already assembled by the Thais (to "Thai-ify" their language and cleanse their language of English) back in the 30s and 40s...

Okay, got ya. :beer:

Nope - very popular - face it - the fuel for democracy is populism

Populism is anything but the fuel for democracy. If you believe that you need to read a bit more history as well as check your definition of "populism"

Virtually all populism movements fueled by the demagoguery of a class struggle have ended up in chaos and tragedy and it is the middle class that steps in puts a stable democracy in place. The best historical example of this is the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror.

Modern examples today of populist movements well on the way to chaos and tragedy would be Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

TH

Archived