The fast food thread...

LizardKing

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience is that the food in places like McDonalds and Burger King is basically the same as at home, the main difference is with the service.

In Thailand most of the employees generally appear to take their job seriously. They dress neatly, actively try to serve you, keep the place clean, etc.

Quite the opposite at home. Most fast food employees could give a shit about their job and it shows. I consider myself lucky if I get a server that can actually speak English.

most thai 'fast foods' you can't get at 'home' like the som tam stall the crispy fried chicken with sticky rice etc - yes they all qualify as junk food/fast food/takeaway ;)

but you're right - the service is more often that not top notch - even if english is not always understood!

most thai 'fast foods' you can't get at 'home' like the som tam stall the crispy fried chicken with sticky rice etc - yes they all qualify as junk food/fast food/takeaway ;)

but you're right - the service is more often that not top notch - even if english is not always understood!

YES.

There's that little stall farm on Sukhumvit Soi 3/1, just off Suk. When I'm in town, I frequently eat lunch there, usually shrimp or seafood pad Thai, with Thai iced tea. The food is always good, hot, tasty, fresh, and the service is always good. I would really like to be able to find pad Thai that good Stateside. (The closest I've found is WAY the heck out of my lunchtime combat radius, and that place is NOT run by Thais.)

Found a good Thai restaurant near Seattle, WA, actually in Kent. Place name was Chao Phyra or something like that. Run by two Thai ladies.

The Thai restaurants in Dallas were terrible!

Now there is one in Houston, TX run by Ott (of the Silver Dollar in Washington Square here in BKK). Never been there but may be worth a try.

Yesterday had Som Tom Lao at Khun Dom (I'm in love with the waitress), today had Tom Yum Goong at Sanamluang Cafe. Can walk to both. Both Thai owned/operated and that's the tip of the proverbial iceberg in East Hollywood aka Thai Town.

Quit McD's a long long time ago, not for health reasons, but for spice reasons.

One thing that is better here, opposed to any given vendor in LOS, is Pad Kee Mao. Don't know why, but the BKK version sucks. Here it's Nirvana. Otherwise, much better bang for the buck in LOS.

Right now it's a two-way tie between Korean and Thai as to preference. Chinese and Filipino food is bland (though chau pau is good, balut is the only thing I won't touch from any country). Sushi is always good but a little ridiculous in price.

Archived