Knife wielding illegal alien shot by LAPD... other illegals protest.

TheCorinthian

The problem with the police is they self regulate themselves, which sounds good but isn't. For example:

Once I was driving through this one city when a cop pulled me over. I was surprised he pulled me over because I was going slow but not slow enough to warrant being stopped. Obviously we didn't get along and he ended up by roasting me by giving me a ticket for speeding, moving radar.

Later, I contacted the police station to file a complaint. When I arrived to file the complaint, the police officer that was available to take the complaint was the same one who gave me the ticket! I tried 2 -3 times to file a complaint, only to face the same situation.

Consequently, I decided to have a trial. I won. It took several years later before that cop got caught for his crap. He lost his job and a State Trooper lost his job for trying to cover up for him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a few small towns in northeastern Mississippi that used to derive a fair amount of their income from traffic fines. They had traffic lights with no orange - just red and green. The local police sat at the lights waiting to grab people from out of state who got caught when the light went red without warning. I think somebody finally got after them for that and made them knock it off.

You do get some odd ones. My grandmother was almost blind in one eye - from an injury when she was a child. She'd been driving for 50 years with no problem. But a small town cop in Arkansas noticed she had one bad eye and hauled her in. He took away her valid licence and refused to let her drive back home. She called my father, who had to go with my mother across three states to get her and her car. The local Barney Fife was going to throw my grandmother in a cell, but a kind hearted woman heard about it and took her to her home to stay. You do get all kinds wearing a badge.

Regarding the original story, the problem seems to be a combination of things. First, this incident was in all liklihood one in a long list of problems that community had with police and this one was the straw on the proverbial back.

Second, there is a climate that encourages reactions like this. There are two sides to the illegal immigration issue and in LA especially there is a certain amount of sympathy and activism so the ones throwing things felt they had a right or are a 'cause celebre' of sorts. There is an environment that persists that makes them all feel they are not only victims but have a right to be in this country. Not all but a significant enough number to feel they should be able to stay even though they arrived illegally.

I would also suggest that there is a certain number of the latino community that does not speak out but are disgusted by the reaction and are pissed off they are grouped in with these folks. The person is Guatemalan. There is no love loss between that community and the Mexican Americans. I wouldn't be surprised if large segments of the Mexican American community supported the cops and were pissed off at the Guatemalans.

Intersting that the cop who shot him was also a latino. Contrary to what a lot of folks think the latino community is not homogenous, they are factions and they are fractious. Mexican Americans are disliked by other latinos in LA. Especially Salvadoreans. The two communities do not get along at all. One of my first girlfriends in LA was a Salvadorean who liked that I could understand a fair amount of spanish (thanks to growing up with Puerto Ricans). Her family wasn't espcially keen on a black bf but she said they preferred ANYONE over a Mexican. I had both Salvadorean and Mexican friends and quickly learned I could never invite both sets of friends out with me.

On the east coast. Cuban Americans are disliked by and large by Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. Especially in Florida. The few Cuban families in my neighborhood in Philly NEVER had any social contact with the Boricuas (Puerto Ricans). Similarly with the Domincans. One of my cousins married one of the Dominicans.

Anyway, the guy had a knife and wouldn't obey commands. End of story.

Consequently' date=' I decided to have a trial. I won. It took several years later before that cop got caught for his crap. He lost his job and a State Trooper lost his job for trying to cover up for him.

[/quote']

Freedom worked for you then, huh? And with out you having to kill people, too.

The system didn't work for sometime in this case because of one bad cop. The police agency should have had a policy set in place to handle civilian complaints, but they didn't.

This police officer should have been disciplind at the on set but instead it had to get so bad that he lost his job and a State Trooper got fired because of trying to cover up for him.

As for the trial, the cop never thought I could defend myself against a bogus ticket. He was pissed.

First time I saw cops on bikes was in Traverse City, MI in 1991. I was walking about 2am with a buddy of mine drunk, like airline people do, and saw 2 cops on bikes. We thought it was about the funniest thing we ever saw. Wasn't there a book from Dr. Seuss about Bears on Bikes or something? That's all I could think about when I saw the cops. :rotfl::rotfl::rotl::rotl:

Archived