Knife wielding illegal alien shot by LAPD... other illegals protest.

TheCorinthian

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/la-police-chief-booed-609367.html

This story has made me very angry. A drunk, illegal alien was running around the Rampart area of L.A. threatening people with a knife (including a pregnant woman). When L.A.P.D. officers arrived, he lunged at an officer with a knife. The officer (rightly) shot and killed him.

Now the illegal alien community of the Rampart area has been rioting and calling for "justice". This is such a joke. First off, the guy should not have been here in the country. Second, all of the protesters (none of whom spoke English on local TV) should be arrested and deported for trashing the city and attacking the L.A.P.D.

Damn. The guy lunged at a Police Officer with a knife! In Guatemala he'd have gotten shot in half!

Anger Flares in L.A. After Fatal Police Shooting

LA TIMES:

LOS ANGELES  City officials and Guatemalan leaders have moved to calm feelings and quell anger after the fatal shooting of a Guatemalan construction worker by a Los Angeles police officer set off two nights of violent protests in a neighborhood populated largely by Central American immigrants.

On Monday and Tuesday nights, people perched on rooftops in the Westlake district were seen hurling objects at officers in riot gear as they sought to control crowds of as many of 300 people who were yelling and waving fists. The Rampart police station was pelted with rocks, bottles and eggs, officials said.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department, Richard French, said there were 18 arrests: 4 on Monday on charges of inciting to riot and 14 on Tuesday for failure to disperse. Mr. French said one officer was slightly injured Tuesday by a thrown object.

The construction worker, Manuel Jaminez, 37, was shot by Officer Frank Hernandez on Sunday afternoon in a confrontation that involved three police officers on bicycles at Sixth Street and Union Avenue, the authorities said.

According to the police, Mr. Jaminez was intoxicated and had threatened a woman with a knife. He refused to drop his knife when ordered by Officer Hernandez, the authorities said.

Charlie Beck, the Los Angeles police chief, said on Tuesday that there would be a thorough investigation of the shooting.

The reputation of the police department has improved markedly across this city, and particularly in minority neighborhoods, since the days of Rodney G. King, whose beating by the police in 1991 was videotaped. Acquittal of the officers at trial in 1992 set of days of rioting.

Officer Hernandez, a 13-year veteran, is Latino and reportedly spoke in Spanish to Mr. Jaminez as he tried to defuse the situation.

On Wednesday afternoon, residents and police officers congregated around the shooting site, where votive candles and a donation box with Mr. Jaminez’s photograph had been placed.

Police officials scheduled a community meeting for Wednesday night to hear grievances.

Still, tensions were high in a neighborhood heavily populated with immigrants from Guatemala, many of whom speak their own dialect and little English or Spanish.

“Some were people who live here and are angry at the way police treat Hispanics,†said Marco Mendez, 41, a neighborhood resident and immigrant from Guatemala. “It’s a shame that they killed him in broad daylight.â€Â

A Westlake resident, Fredy Corrido, 52, said he had never seen so many police officers in the neighborhood. “They’re being nice right now because of all the TV cameras,†he said.

The Guatemalan consul general, Pablo García Saenz, said Wednesday that the demonstrators were not part of the local Guatemalan community or associated with Mr. Jaminez’s family.

“Our community is asking for justice and a transparent investigation,†Mr. García Saenz said. “The family of Manuel Jaminez has not asked people to go out in the street and protest. We’re a peaceful community, and we don’t encourage violence. Violence is not the way to get justice.â€Â

Mr. Mendez said, however, that many of the protesters were in fact from the neighborhood and were reacting to the killing.

Mr. García Saenz said the family was waiting for the coroner’s report and the return of Mr. Jaminez’s body. The family plans to bury Mr. Jaminez, the father of three, in his native Guatemala.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked right around the corner from this site for 8 years, until 2006, and I'm watching live reports on the news as I type.

Just a bunch of criminals looking for an opportunity to pillage their own neighborhood. Won't be widespread, as it's only the Central American community. God help them if they try to take this shit too far into Koreatown. We learned that from the '92 riots. :susel:

PS. I've seen on the news that many of the residents are pissed off at the officer in question for being a hard-ass on illegal street vendors, the argument being they had already paid off local gangs for their right to operate their business!

Let it burn, I say.

Frash, at the little Korean owned office building I worked at, they had armed security guards. Before I worked there, two of them had been shot just for standing out front of the building. It's two blocks from MacArthur Park and not the best neighborhood.

One thing about Korean security guards. They tend to be old ex-military types who act out of devotion to job (and home countrymen) with little regard for legality and consequences.

All you racists need to learn, these people are just here to do the jobs Americans won't do...blah blah, ohm and as BKKtraveler says, we should do nothing, because it will cost too much tax money! I say don't be racist and open the flood gates, we owe the world's poor!

In my airport days, I'd see handcuffed deportees led down the tarmac to board TACA flights, almost like a chain gang, on every flight. Some may have been classified as political refugees when they got here, but they were mostly leaving because of criminal behavior. Watching it, one of my Honduran co-workers told me, "all these guys are dead when they get home." :sad:

Archived