Knife wielding illegal alien shot by LAPD... other illegals protest.

TheCorinthian

How much does a can of mace weigh? Women carry pepper spray in their purse!

I'd never even heard of bicycle cops before ... :p

LA has a bunch of them. A lot are in the beach areas Venice, Manhattan Beach, etc. In some areas of the city where its a bit congested they have bke cops as well, Hollywood, downtown. Santa Monica has a bunch of them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What CS said.

"[color:blue]In the 1970's, Pacific Area began using a limited number of bicycles for patrol along the Venice Beach area to increase visibility during peak seasons.

Today, between 200 and 250 bicycle officers are deployed on a daily basis in all 18 Areas of the LAPD.

Bicycle patrol provides greater visibility in high crime areas that are more difficult to patrol by motor vehicle, including public housing, retail centers, and beaches. Officers have easier access to congested areas than officers in motor vehicles and cover a larger area than officers on foot. Bicycles offer an effective approach to crime surveillance due to their decreased visibility.[/color]"

Link

Incidentally, another everyday (but nonthreatening) sight in that particular block are drunks laying around the sidewalks in the middle of the day. Not the skid row homeless type. There's a Home Depot right there and I suspect day laborers unable to find work often hit the liquor stores, drink in public and pass out on the sidewalks. You literally have to step over them or walk around. I've never been hassled by them and I've never seen them get hassled by the cops.

First time I saw cops on bikes was in Traverse City, MI in 1991. I was walking about 2am with a buddy of mine drunk, like airline people do, and saw 2 cops on bikes. We thought it was about the funniest thing we ever saw. Wasn't there a book from Dr. Seuss about Bears on Bikes or something? That's all I could think about when I saw the cops. :rotfl::rotfl::rotl::rotl:

One canyon I know of has been taken over for decades by nudist. One time regular cops arrived and entered the canyon by its rim (the only way to the canyon) with their shirts off. The nudist considered them one of them till the cops got too close to arrest them.

Today, I doubt the cops would try that trick again.

Archived