other end of the spectrum

pasathai1

Was this the hotel down a lane off soi 8? Was a short cut to soi 6 past a blow job joint? If so i stayed there once there was a mirror on the ceiling.

Yes, it was my first trip to LOS and the top floor rooms had mirrors on ceilings, walls and I got to screw MiWiMee's now best friend in the whole wide world.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2003 I stayed in an 8 USD room in the Ivy 2 guest house in Siem Reap, Cambo. Actually it was a very nice room, wooden floor, simple wooden furnishings, fan, cold shower.

Took my first Khmer BG there. She was an absolute starfish and I should have sent her home after 10 min., but being a absolute newbie to the scene - she was my second BG on my first trip to SE-Asia - I let her stay the whole night. :o

The Grace is the best deal in town. 1500 for new wing. Falang get segregated to top floors 12, 14 & 15, away from Muslims. Run by Thais.

Great view, service and pool. Good place for sexpats to binge fuck and enjoy the view for a night. Short time hotels are 300, anyway.

Best value? Early 2007...

Nice room, quiet, clean, good bed/mattress, A/C, TV, HW: ...200-Bt!

And, the Brit owner's wife made some of the best Western food I've had in SEA. She also cooks Thai and Lao food, as the place is located in Na Hin (Khoun Kham)...in Laos.

No one said this thread was limited to BKK :grin:

Also, some pretty basic (dingy) G/H's in Issan, for 80-100-Bt.

Extravagant! I remember paying about 70 baht a night in Laos ... uh, in 1974. ;)

Wiengchan was a hippie haven at the time, even without any Looney Planet guides. The little city was full of "world travellers". Most of them seemed to be there for the opium dens. They told me a pipe cost 4 baht, but I gave it a pass. Something tells me the opium dens are still around in Laos, if not in the capital any more. (I didn't see any there 5 years ago.) Did you see any recently?

First trip to Koh Tao in 1993, I stayed at 2 different places on Sairee beach, palm thatched huts right on the beach, 40 baht.

First trip to Koh Chang in 1996 I stayed at a hut also right on the beach. 2.000 baht a month (I stayed 3)

First trip to Krabi in 1993 at the Haat Noppharat beach, Andaman Inn Resort. 1.200 baht a month, I stayed 3 months.

Koh Phi Phi, Viking Village 80 baht. 1995. Stayed 2 weeks.

Hello Guest House, Khao San Road in 1993, 80 baht. I stayed one night, that was quite enough.

The beach huts I used to stay at are all but gone by now and replaced by concrete structures.

To me the standard of accomodation is more or less irrelevant when it comes to enjoying the trip. I only stay in my room to shower and sleep anyway.

Those trips were probably the best I ever had, however modest the lodging.

HytterKohChang.jpg

First time I went to Samui as a very young backpacker in 1993 I stayed in a hut on Maenam Beach for 80 baht per night. Matress on the floor.... cold shower... that was it.

But an amazing experience at the time for a kid from the Australian suburbs.

(This was when the main strip along Chaweng Beach was a dirt road with a few hotels and local restaurants dotting the landscape!)

Archived