other end of the spectrum

pasathai1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first stay in Samui was in 1990 and was also in a beach bungalow on Maenam beach. Went there with a girl from Bangkok but can't remember what it cost. Bungalow right on the beach, basic with cold shower but did have a proper bed. Loved it.

Went back to Samui in September 97 for a month. Stayed at the Imperial for a few nights while scouting for a cheap long term place to stay and although I couldn't remember where I'd stayed in 1990 I found it by chance. It was called Lolita Bungalows and again I got one right on the beach. Getting up in the morning and going for a dip in the sea which was only a few yards away was fantastic. I think it was B400 a night.

More recently (2008), Siam Beach Resort on Koh Kood in the Koh Chang archipelago. 400 baht for 4 persons.

One of the best beaches I ever visited, so did my sons think as well.

They spent most of the day in the water and as a result lil` one learnt how to swim.

kohkood.jpg[/img]

I stayed in a nice enough place in Wiengchan about 5 years ago - huge double beds, satellite TV, A/C, fridge, shower in the hong nam - it couldn't have been more than 400 baht, if that. Interesting to explore the city and compare it with what I remembered from my visit to the old Kingdom of Laos. (Biggest difference was that the streets are all paved now. That and the new "national flag" - actually the flag of the Laotian Communist Party. Plus no pedal samlors allowed in the city; they don't fit the image the govmt wants to present.) Made friends with an educated Laos shopowner, who openly told me he thought the Vietnamese dominated commie government was full of shit. :)

His French was far better than mine, and his English was as basic as my Lao, so we conversed in Thai.

I always stay in 400 baht range hotels in Malaysia too. Why throw away money when you don't need to?

Speaking of "other end of the spectrum"....

I've been to Mangakino in New Zealand - and survived. :surprised:

You're taking a bit of a risk saying that, mind you, I don't think any of them have computers so you may escape...

Was this the hotel down a lane off soi 8? Was a short cut to soi 6 past a blow job joint? If so i stayed there once there was a mirror on the ceiling.

That is the Sukhumvit Crown.

It was the first hotel I stayed at in Bangkok as well. My friends told me to go to nana, and that was the most obvious hotel viewable from the Nana BTS. Met some crazy French man who I ran into on my next 2 trips to the LOS.

I think it has gone up to 950 Baht (includes a shit breakfast).

Archived