Environmental taxes bill gets nod

limbo

Environmental taxes bill gets nod

The cabinet has agreed in principle to the draft fiscal measures for the environment bill proposed by the Finance Ministry, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Tuesday afternoon.

Mr Abhisit said the law, when passed, would become a government tool in applying fiscal measures for the protection of the environment and the settling of environmental problems.

However, the draft legislation still lacks details in some parts, such as tax incentives to encourage the general public to conserve the environment. Moreover, the cabinet wanted to ensure that mechanism created by this law would not overlap existing environment law, including the setting up of related committees and funds, he said.

The cabinet assigned the ministries of finance, energy, natural resources and environment, and public health to jointly review and rectify the bill before forwarding it to the Council of State for scrutiny.

Deputy government spokesman Watchara Kannika said under the draft fiscal measures for environment bill, five environmental taxes would be applied. They are;

1) Water pollution tax: a polluter would be liable to pay at a rate of 10,000 baht per one tonne of pollutant per year.

2) Air pollution tax: a polluter would be liable to pay at a rate of 2,500 baht a tonne of pollutants annually.

3) Tourist tax: 15 per cent of the transportation fare, or 1,000 baht for each tourist.

4) Product tax: 15 per cent of a product’s price, or 10,000 baht per unit of the product.

5) Other taxes or fees set at 15 per cent of the price or 10,000 baht per unit of pollutant.

In addition, there will be an environmental taxes and fees committee and fund under the supervision of the Finance Ministry, chaired by the ministry’s permanent secretary, said Mr Watchara.

A fiscal measure for environment policy and control committee, to be chaired by finance minister will also be set up, he added.

Bangkok Post 12/10/10

Can you believe the nerve asking tourists 1K upon arrival for environmental issues and than let them loose in this country, wondering whatever happened to their 1K. Maybe they can start teaching their own population first.

Hi,

"Maybe they can start teaching their own population first. "

Damn right! On the whole I would say your average tourist is a lot more careful of the environment than the average Thai. Thais tend to just drop their garbage, not even bothering to walk an extra few meters to a garbage bin (if there even is one).

Sanuk!

There used to be trash bins on the streets in Bangkok, but they were pulled off after the New Year's Eve 2006 bombings. Not that Thais ever used them that much anyway ...

I remember my first visit to Chiang Mai around October 1973. It was a beautiful little city, far nicer than it is today. No high rises, old buildings, very light traffic -- except the city didn't seem to have any rubbish disposal. Every vacant lot had been turned into a public dump! (Not quite as bad as it sounds, since things came in paper bags or wrapped in banana leaves. Trash dissolved fairly quickly, unlike today's awful plastic bags and styrofoam.)

Nothing in the bill I see about littering or at least what was posted here. Just air and water pollution. And that is pretty cheap when you think of it. Only 10k per tonne for water and 2.5k per tonne for air. Throw one cigerette butt down which probably weighs a few grams and that costs 2k. Seems to me, that bill should have a bit more teeth.

Hi,

"Maybe they can start teaching their own population first. "

Damn right! On the whole I would say your average tourist is a lot more careful of the environment than the average Thai. Thais tend to just drop their garbage, not even bothering to walk an extra few meters to a garbage bin (if there even is one).

Sanuk!

If you find a garbage bin is right! Downtown Chaweng, where the biggest tourist concentration is to be found on Samui there's not a single public trash or garbage bin!

Luckily a collection of hotels and other organisations on Samui have started a project that includes all schools (gvnmt and private)to participate in proposal garbage disposal and separation. Start young (and small in this case) is the message! A good initiative that obviously includes all teachers as well.

Archived