Plan to make English 2nd language vetoed

Flashermac

Thailand never "gave" anything to the French and Brits. Unless you call it giving when you have a gun at your head.

And those "invited" Nipponese guests sure had a hell of a time when they first arrived on 8 Dec 1941.

Learn your history before you try to rant and I'm sure you can do it a lot better!

p.s. How many hundreds of American GIs did the Vichy French kill or wound in North Africa in WWII? The Brits lost thousands. How many died fighting the Thais? :hmmm:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I was going to stir up an argument, and instead we get Eddie Izzard. :(

Nothing to do with the original topic but I went to school with Eddie Izzard, he was a couple of years below with though if I remember rightly? Now after that useless piece of info back to the Vichy French. And Flash what about the sinking of the Vichy fleet in North Africe by the Royal Navy.

Simie.

Hi,

"If you program, you HAVE to know it."

Knowing a programming language does not mean knowing - or even having to know - English. Programming languages use a VERY small subset of the English language and it is sufficient to just know those words in the context of the programming language.

Have met plenty of Thai programmers who could code fine (well, fine by Thai standards :) ) but could not speak English well enough to have even a simple conversation.

Your hexadecimal example isn't accurate either I think. First of all, those 6 characters are not exclusive to the English language (I'd say most European languages contain all 6 of them) and secondly again, it is just a matter of learning those characters. Using 6 non-alphabetic characters, or 6 Thai chars, would not change anything in their meaning or use.

The lowest level of 'code' isn't 1 2 3 4 etc either, it is just 2 states of magnetism, ON or OFF. Again, nothing to do with English (never mind that the numbers 1 2 3 etc are from Arabic origin :) ).

Sanuk!

<< And Flash what about the sinking of the Vichy fleet in North Africe by the Royal Navy. >>

Shocking is the word for it, but that was Churchill. Churchie slaughtered about 1300 French sailors because he feared the French fleet might eventually join Adolf and Musso, now that France had surrendered. He delivered an ultimatum to the French Navy, demanding they surrender to the RN. The French simply could not believe the Brits would attack them - but the RN did. The French lost a battleship and some destroyers, whilst the rest of the fleet was savaged. The Brits lost only attacking six planes. It wasn't a battle, it was a massacre. DeGaulle was furious.

The French still have every reason to be pissed off, but Churchie always played hard ball. Ironically, the French went to great lengths to keep the Nazis from getting their hands on any of their ships - which makes the massacre even more bizarre. Still, Churchill was the one who targeted German civilians in the aerial bombing of German cities. His logic was that it takes only a couple of months to rebuilt a factory, but it takes 18 years to raise a new worker.

Archived