Plan to make English 2nd language vetoed

Flashermac

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saves them trouble from having to make chinese the 2nd language in a couple decades.

Not sure if English will be important in 100 years or so anyway. Things can and do change. French was the language of diplomacy for a long time. Even with the British empire as big as it was it wasn't until the U.S.'s emergence that the language of diplomacy became English full stop.

In our hemisphere, spanish is more widely spoken. In America spanish is becoming a second language in certain regions. Spanish, French and German are the traditional three offerings of most HS's. I wouldn't be surprised if spanish becomes mandatory in American schools like English presently is in Korea and other countries.

English will only be as relevant as the U.S. is globally in terms of trade and politics. If America collapses financially and with it, its global dominance economically, it won't be a language worth learning. You learn the language of those that have the economic power. For a time many americans were studying Japanese. I was at one time because I was in finance and the Japanese were big players.

If the dollar is replaced as the major currency of trade (and it looks like its heading that way), I suspect english will follow it in relevance.

America's biggest trade partners are becoming China's (Korea, Japan, Brazil, and europe is heading there at a fast clip). Chinese is becoming more important. If the chinese start coming to Thailand en masse and we start seeing them replace europeans and norht americans, then the language of the beer bars will be chinese instead of english.

Archived