Living in Thailand without speaking Thai

AD1985

I suppose' date=' but it seems they have little or no real respect for our country or culture.

I feel if you are going to live in a country you should make an attempt to learn the language, especially if there are programs that are free or dirt cheap to help you.[/quote']

I wish native English speakers would do the same if they went to another country. I sometimes really get pissed off at the arrogance of native English speakers with which they expect everyone to speak their language. And then make snide remarks about someone being stupid because they are not good enough in English.

Or the remarks that because you misspell English that you cannot participate in a discussion on a forum. Or people not reading your arguments but bitching about spelling mistakes.

Do not get me started on this subject. The French are even worse.

W

The french are even worse?? That is the understatement of the year.

The french are in a totally different league.

If your french is not close to perfect, they will pretend they don`t understand anything.

I guess they still suffer from the misconception that french is a world language.

Every once in a while I meet french people abroad and hey all of a sudden they understand, but in France, forget about it.

Well, I was only in France once and I didn`t like it one bit.

On a related note, I only have one child. Go figure. :p

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course, I am speaking about the 1960s! I took a couple of years of Spanish in high school, though I don't recall that it was required.....

Well, I graduated from HS in 1960, in Los Angeles..so there was a language requirement then, as well as in colleges, and it still a requirement today.

I do agree with your earlier statement that only Spanish and French were taught in HS, and poorly at that! I took a semester of German at the University and I admittedly received my only poor grade: I failed the course...too many female distractions!

I suppose' date=' but it seems they have little or no real respect for our country or culture.

I feel if you are going to live in a country you should make an attempt to learn the language, especially if there are programs that are free or dirt cheap to help you.[/quote']

I wish native English speakers would do the same if they went to another country. I sometimes really get pissed off at the arrogance of native English speakers with which they expect everyone to speak their language. And then make snide remarks about someone being stupid because they are not good enough in English.

Or the remarks that because you misspell English that you cannot participate in a discussion on a forum. Or people not reading your arguments but bitching about spelling mistakes.

Do not get me started on this subject. The French are even worse.

W

The french are even worse?? That is the understatement of the year.

The french are in a totally different league.

If your french is not close to perfect, they will pretend they don`t understand anything.

I guess they still suffer from the misconception that french is a world language.

Every once in a while I meet french people abroad and hey all of a sudden they understand, but in France, forget about it.

Well, I was only in France once and I didn`t like it one bit.

On a related note, I only have one child. Go figure. :p

I've run into similar situations with Thais here...recently, I was in a place I frequent, asked the waiter "kaw prik heng krup" he turned, got the tray with all the seasonings, including the prik heng then said sort of faggidly "oh I'm sorry what did you want? I don't understand you..." the waitress who I know well told him in Thai and he just sort of handed it to me rudely. I mean the guy knew damned well what I wanted, was getting it and decided to fuck with me?

Yeah, well, one gets to meet people like that every once in a while.

I have experienced on more than one occasion that when I approach a vendor and attempt to place an order, he/she just flaps the hands in the air without listening at all to ward of the embarrasment of having to deal with a foreigner who by nature doesnt speak thai.

Every once in a while the more entreprenurical (sp?) ones will summon a co-worker to deal with the farang.

They are usually more inclined to listen.

When I repeat my order or question in thai, I love to see the look on their faces.

This excerpt is from a recent conversation:

Co-worker: aow phoot phasa thai pen rue wah?

tammai mai bork la? (so you speak thai, why didnt you say so, eh?)

Me: bork laew, dtae wah khao mai fang ley.

(I told it already, but she didnt listen)

First vendor: Dtaaai dtai, nah daek mod ley.

(Geez, just lost my face)

That generally establishes a good atmosphere and I get what I want without further delay.

Gotta luv them :)

There are many advantages to acting the dumb falang. Especially with bar girls.

Sure there is.

You will have the priviledge of dealing with the bar girls who detest "farang who know too mutt".

It is not like they are having an agenda, no, no, they simply "lubb you too mutt"

Will you be overpaying? Most likely.

Whatever floats your boat.

Not aimed at you waerth but don't you just love those guys who speak Thai and want the world to know it. Often to be heard in 711s telling the cashier their life stories.

Yeah, I hear that all the time. NOT!

I wonder if the staff of Seven has neither the time nor the inclination to listen to that kind of shit.

You are making it up.

Those ones are easy to spot. You will also understand what they are saying to each other and the mamasan. This will give you a good indication of their experience. Anyway since I haven't taken a girl out of a bar for years it passes the time.

What's your problem? Of course the girls just look bored but I've heard it a lot.

Archived