Living in Thailand without speaking Thai

AD1985

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mekong, the "public universities" (the old govmt universities) generally insist that every student take Reading for Comprehension and Listening & Speaking I (basic English conversation). But unless they become an English major or minor, those two courses are all the English they will take. But at least it is well taught and they get something out of it. Unfortunately, they forget most of it by the time they graduate.

The international courses, naturally, are all taught entirely in English.

In effect no one learns anything close to fluent English in any class anywhere be it Int. course in bkk or any course in The UK or US regardless how efficient the professor/tutor. It all helps of course :)

IMO where languages are LEARNT particularly speaking with a close accent is interacting with native/fluent speakers be it class mates, friends whatever.

Asians in particular are known to go about in local language clusters thus avoiding this most important part, but yeah its human nature in fact to stick to what you know best ;)

wF

We will discuss this at the inaugural Thai360 (Madrid) Meeting this weekend. When el grande jefe was here lat week people were asking her "I can't place the state yout accent is from?" and so funny to see the looks on their faces when told them she was from the other side of the world,

There are a small percentile of Thais who do speak fluent / non Asian accented English. Fark most guys from this forum who have met her ask her to translate my English

Mrs. M speaks excellent American, like with a US West coast accent, IMO. You mentioned (or she did) where she went to school in the US so makes it easier to place the accent, which isn't a strong accent at all.

Yes, you speak English, but with an accent from. I'm not quite sure, Liverpool? I'm no expert on the UK's accents, but you are understandable, sometimes a bit difficult for me but I've got bummed up hearing :dunno:

In effect no one learns anything close to fluent English in any class anywhere be it Int. course in bkk or any course in The UK or US regardless how efficient the professor/tutor. It all helps of course :)

IMO where languages are LEARNT particularly speaking with a close accent is interacting with native/fluent speakers be it class mates, friends whatever.

Asians in particular are known to go about in local language clusters thus avoiding this most important part, but yeah its human nature in fact to stick to what you know best ;)

Have you ever met Thai graduates of the main international schools (ISB, Ruamrudee etc)? They invariably speak near perfect English with a Midwest American accent. When you get them in a university class, however, you soon discover their vocabulary is nowhere near what it should be.

It is taken for granted that the international school grads have to study in international programmes (or abroad). Their written Thai skills simply are not good enough for them to study in Thai! In the international classes (university level) I've taught, the students automatically divide themselves into two groups - international school grads and the rest. I have only met one international secondary school graduate who was able to pass the nationwide uni entrance exam. She told me she had to study Thai with a private tutor for about one year to be able to do so.

Mekong has a definite regional English accent, but as I've never been there I am at a loss as to the origin. Now don't be offended whilst I guess.

Geordie?

Mekong is going to thump both you and Cav, you especially ... Geordie? :rotl:

I haven't met Mekong, but as I recall he's from Manchester - where they have a pleasant civilised accent.

p.s. I actually like the sound of Scouse, since my father's secretary was from Liverpool and Annie was a gem. She was always nice to me, as was her mother - who had a mass said for me in the then new Liverpoool Catholic cathedral when I was in Vietnam, though I'm not Catholic. Scousers always remind me of my younger days. :D

Archived