Is there a clear varnish paint that lasts longer than a year ?

up2you2

I have a Thai style house the drawback being that there is a lot of painting maintenance.

I initially started of using ICI Cuprinol Woodstain Satin Finish H212 this only lasted a year.

Then my new painting contractors suggested Akzo Nobel Sadolin Yacht Clear Gloss with special UV and Salt Water Protection, this alternative didn't even last as long as the ICI product.

I am looking for a paint, and also a filler that bear extreme conditions of UV sunlight along with monsoon rains.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A good wood sealer will help...where is your house?

I suggest something like Thompson Water sealer, applied 1 time a year, or maybe every 6 months depending on the conditions. You can try various grades of polyurethane varnish, but the application and prep are critical.

You can also try Marine grade Polyurethane varnish, the stuff they use on boats.

Basically, thin the varnish, maybe 1 part varnish to 3 parts thinner. Apply, dry, anthen fter maybe 1-3 coats of that, apply a 50/50 mix, then a 75/25 mix, then a few coats of 100%. the result will be a hard shiny finish. you can also build up the base with mineral oils...or teak oils...

That equates to between 5 and 7 applications. I hope the house is very small or when you finish it'll be time to start again!!

When I was a kid, my father explained to me that same strategy kept the road workers in Ireland employed year round. You know, the guys with the shovel and bucket on the country roads. :)

OH has got it.

Around here we have real seasons with hot weather and much cold with snow. People here are building mega-mansions - with nice clear wood shakes or cedar siding. Clear wood stained with clear stain. But where the snow builds up under peaks and in valleys of roof - the siding dis-colors with the constant snow and melting. So the nice wood finish is graying in these areas.

So these mega-mansions look great the first few years. Then the graying effect of snow/ice/melting takes place on parts of exterior. Once that starts there is no solution to bring back. Most after the first 5 years - end up with a solid color stain.

Not to be confused with the "Cape Cod" effect - where they intentionally let the exterior wood weather naturally - as they seek the graying effect. Mostly used on shake type wood exteriors.

You can pressure wash graying wood and it comes back but takes some work and then after washing, must seal the wood.

Several years ago I did my house, house has cedar type wood siding and started to gray, about one day to pressure wash and it looked great!

Two days to dry and then apply the Thompson clear sealer. Three years later looks good! and this is in the nasty weather of the Chicago area!!

Archived