Pleasant experiences in LOS

Vintage_Kwai

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, not much of pleasant experiences have been posted here, anyone?

I rented a motorbike in Kanchanaburi and drove up all the way around Sankhlaburi and 3 pagodes pass.

Somewhere around I saw the 123rd wat that trip and just looked at it without getting off my motorbike, took out the camera to take a pic, was a nice wat though.

A minibus parked next to me, driver came out and said to me: why don't you park your motorbike and come with us to visit the temple? I am a tour guide and show the temple to these two Birmans here anyway.

So I did and followed the guide with his two customers. Beautiful wat indeed, glad I joined. Seems his two customers came to see the main monk of the temple, but he was taking a nap and were told to come back later. We decided to go for a drink. I joined the small group into the guides minibus and off we drove down a hill to a village to some food stalls. Soft drinks were ordered and I tried to pay the lady, but the guide/driver would not have that, speaking Thai to the lady and making it impossible for me to pay for 4 soft drinks...

Then we drove back to the temple and the guide insisted I stay with them, asked if I ever met an important monk, which I didn't, telling me that would be an experience, the top monk here speaking English and being over 850 years young.

So we went back sitting under some trees waiting now with some 50 other people for the monk to start his consultancy? or whatever it should be called.

It was something special to watch people being called from a few meters away and watching the ceremonial, until our group was called. The guide summoned me to join but to remain one meter behind them and be attentive. When the bonze had finished dealing with our group he looked at me straight and believe me or not seems we had a telepathy session. No words were spoken, but I understood what the monk was telling me :surprised:

We returned to the parking area and the guide told me his name was "John" and invited me to come to visit him at the resort he worked near 3 pagode pass in the next few days.

I might tell the rest of the story later

:argue:

Quite awhile back I was living with a girl that has a son, 10 years old. His bike tire went flat so we walked down the soi together and found a motorcycle repair shop. The guy had a bike he was working on and another couple waiting with their motocy. He stopped what he was doing and looked at the bike.

He took out the tube and tested it to see where the hole was. There were a couple small pin holes and he actually found a small, thin pin like piece of metal in the tube. He dried it off, patched it up, put it back together and pumped it up for 30 baht. It wasn't free but it wasn't farang price either. I thought that was pretty nice he took care of the kid and a farang before everybody else.

:)

It is - I had a flat the other day, not in my village another one where I'm not so well known.

Needed a new tube, as a patch had come off twice, 100 baht, suddenly it dawned on me I didn't have money on me. Called the wife to come over to pay, but the garage bloke said no worries, next time you drive by!

100 baht for a new tube fitted is ok value I think

One of the pleasant things is that no matter where you are in LOS it is always possible to arrange a mode of transport within 30-60 minutes to anywhere else in LOS. Sometimes it will cost a bit more. But is usually arranged easily no matter where you are!

W

Archived