Pleasant experiences in LOS

Vintage_Kwai

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that smiles are like hard currency in Thailand. Life here can be really shitty if you go around scowling, people pick up on it and treat you accordingly. Or it can be just fine if you go around with a smile.

I love the way poor people respond to respect. being an egalitarian sort myself, i show as much respect for the lower class folks, especially the hard working ones, as to the hiso businessman. it never ceases to amaze me that the poorest people will share all the food they have with a stranger, but the rich will just drive over you like a speed bump.

I love the way Spirits are honored. to me it wraps up the past present and future into this neat singular thing.

I love that nobody here believes in the primacy of the state. it's a good lesson that comes from thousands of years of civilization.

the food is good and seldom sickening, the weather is warm and seldom drowning, the girls are lovely ,fun and seldom rip offs.

The charwomen and food vendors think I'm the bee's knees at the uni, since I'm polite to them. And why shouldn't I be? I've also been friends with one real royal and several minor royals. The real "hiso" treat everyone with respect. :dunno:

The uppity "hiso" are another matter. I don't respect people who got rich through dishonesty and corruption!

:yeahthat:

Smiling helps a lot. There is a traffic police officer at a 4 way junction near the office who smiles all the time, even in the heat of it. One day he waved me through but some fellow in a big SUV cut in front and I had to stop rather quickly. I didn't scowl or say anything nasty, instead just shook my head and laughed. He gave me an even bigger smile after that, and now whenever he sees me I get a salute together with the smile.

As an intermediate result I note with utmost pleasure that THAI360 boardmembers respect all Thai people , preference lower class , smile all day ,start having the time of their life once they arrive in the kingdom and if they loose their wallet with 3 billion baht in cash somebody will deliver it to the hotel next morning .

Velly goos

I think it's important to note the relationships I refer to' date=' whilst inclusive of BGs, generally are with normal "women half my age" and may not include sex or mongering.Coss[/quote']

I did not make any judgment either way :beer:

Yes yes, I'm not retorting, only a little more information for clarity

Cheers

Coss

I have been, on my first trips to Thailand, being a real dickhead.

One Taxi driver, I had gotten pissed at for not taking what I thought was a better route (Today I know I am right, then I may have been wrong), I not only refused to tip him, but made a point of paying exactly the fare down to the last baht.

Went upstairs only to have security call me saying he wanted to speak to me.

I stomped downstairs, furious, saw him stand by reception, started yelling at him, only to see him give me a very nice Wai and in his hands my wallet, which had about 80 000 baht, so much money it couldn't close.

I tried to tip him but he refused.

I was SO in the wrong, very nice man.

twice I have had my wallet with a lot of cash returned.

Thankfully for Taxi drivers in Thailand that has all changed!

I no longer have that much money, so I can't be so rude next time.

As an intermediate result I note with utmost pleasure that THAI360 boardmembers respect all Thai people , preference lower class , smile all day ,start having the time of their life once they arrive in the kingdom and if they loose their wallet with 3 billion baht in cash somebody will deliver it to the hotel next morning .

Velly goos

I'll make a deal with you. If either of us finds a wallet with 3 billion baht in it, we'll split it with the other and spend it on booze and women. It would probably be Thaksin's anyway. :beer:

I've notice some of the campus security guards salute me on sight but no other Farang. I presume it's because I acknowledge their presence. The rest just stare straight ahead and ignore them. :hmmm:

Aye. I get that too. I always say hi and smile at them, and for those working at my residence, make sure they get Xmas & red packet (ang pow) tips. They do a fine job IMHO.

Archived