Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

By and large it ended it in Europe. Balkans and a few internal skirmishe here and there. Europe had a major war between two or more countries every generation before World War II going back a couple hundred years at least if not more.

The Cold War stopped the violence post-WWII. Europe was divided into sides, neither one daring to attack the other. The individual countries were too exhausted and even lacked the independence to do otherwise. The Russians rearranged eastern and central Europe to their own liking and ruled with an iron thumb. It wasn't until the USSR collapsed that eastern Europe regained some freedom of action. Western Europe had to join forces against the common enemy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/07/law-professor-u-s-in-state-of-perpetual-war/#.T2QxVNWzni4.facebook

“The idea of wartime is doing a lot of work in American politics,†she said. “The way we think about history is history passes through two different kinds of time, from wartime to peacetime to wartime et cetera.â€

“That’s the way we learn about it in school, that’s the way that we imagine it. When we use to concept of wartime, we assume that wartime is by definition temporary.â€

But Dudziak noted that over the past 100 years, there had been few times when the United States was not engaged in a some sort of military conflict.

I've always hated the concept of war on any thing that you can't define and has no end. Going back to LBJ's 'war on poverty', Nixon's 'war on drugs' and the present 'war on terror', even the war on al qaeda is a misnomer.

We will never totally eradicate poverty, drugs, al qaeda or terror. What we end up is, is a reason for the government to spend money and certain agencies and companies having a permament revenue stream.

I wish Ron Paul or someone else with balls question all these wars and to stop calling it a war if there is no definition of the ending. Everyone wants to stop drugs, poverty, terrorism. The IRS is a war on unpaid taxes.

Its all BS. As the author says we have been in almost constant state of military war for decades as well.

If we didn't have wars would we need a military?

Next week begins the oral arguments in front of the Supreme Court over the constitutionality of the Health Care Law, In anticipation, NPR's : "All Things Considered" is spending this week covering several aspects of U.S. Health care. Among things I found interesting is Texas having the dubious distinction of having the largest percentage of its citizens without health care (25%). I guess that is the flip side of having a so called robust state economy. Our governor, Sam Brownback, is steering Kansas toward a Texas type of state government, so I imagine we can look forward to 25% without health care (until 2014). The statistics quoted by NPR that I found the most disturbing is that 40% of those that have health insurance either work for the government or are in the armed forces. I just hope that, after 2014, I can buy the same health insurance offered to government employees, including members of Congress.

When I was working in the States, a big concern was that so many companies are going to "temps" instead full time employees. Temps usually get paid well enough, but they have next to no medical coverage. They work maybe 4 to 6 months, and then get dropped. Private companies are balking at paying medical and pension benefits to people and opt out this way. I had good coverage when I worked for the government, but it stopped the day Bill Clinton eliminated my job.