World Cup losers cry foul

Flashermac

I don't think any other sport has players colliding at the velocity they do in American Football especially, as mentioned in your link, on special teams plays. To call them nancies for wearing helmets and pads is a joke, without them you'd have to recruit the best part of a new team every week.

But that's the whole point! :argue:

The hits might be hard, but the padding and helmets absorb most of it - the vast majority of the time.

I still don't think the hits in gridiron are any harder than they are in rugby league, which is just brutal.

(And bear in mind the clip I posted before was Australian Rules, NOT Rugby League).

Rugby League is more like American football.

Check it out - the hits in this video are just as hard as in NFL. (Turn the sound down - the song is shit!)

HQ-rfegzfRM&feature=related

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

LK a friend of mine played rugby at county level in wales, then had a go with american football with a touring US team, he said he totally under estimated US football and said the kit they wear hardly protects you at all...

I was going to say that what really makes rugby players 'tough' and what I admire about them is that they do it in their spare time while working regular jobs. Or, that's what I thought, 'till I did some searching! At what level does it become a well paid career? I'm serious...I really don't know.

Both Rugby and American Football are tough sports. Is one tougher? Maybe but if so, it doesn't mean the other is a sissy sport. Far from it.

I know some non Americans talk about the safety equipment as proof American Football isn't a tough sport but truth is most of you guys who say that a) haven't played the sport B) have a built in bias usually about any thing American in general.

As for Football/Soccer, obviously I'm a fan but I was once like the typical American male and didn't respect it. Its not a good advertisement for the game when the only time Americans see it is the World Cup and half the players are falling over and wincing in mock pain until the holy water is doused on them and they are miraculously healed. Amerian culture, especially sports wise, is built on being tough and not letting the opponent think he has hurt you. No matter the sport, when we were all kids, coaches told us to 'get up and shake it off'. Even in baseball where you probably have the least contact compared to basketball and American football. Catchers weren't allowed to show fear when a player slid home. They took the hit 'like a man' even when you're an 11 year old little leaguer.

Anyway, that said, I love the sport (soccer) and now see the beauty of it. A lot of Americans hate soccer for the wrong reasons. Its a bit of American arrogance that if we don't play it its not important.

With regards to the World Cup bidding and who wins. We all know FIFA is corrupt. So, while I would have liked America to have won the bidding, I am not surprised. I wouldn't be shocked if Antartica won a bid (yeah, I know its controlled by many nations). FIFA and Olympic bidding is almost as bad as American politics...almost. :nahnah:

Back on Topic

It astounds me as to how ignorant the world press is about Qatar by labeling it "An Oil Rich State" its got fuck all oil, but it does have the worlds largest Natural Gas Reserves.

As for the comment about 43C in Summer, the reporter must have been there in a cold year, in summer 2009 it was hitting mid 50's and we had to stop work so the workers didn't expire due to heat exhaution.

How the fark then can hold a World Cup in Qatar, very limited / expensive accomidation, alcohol heavily restricted, its going to be a farce.

Archived