How much - for one year in LOS?

dave32

blew 20K in a 24-hour period on my first long stay in Thailand and subsequently lived on less than 300 baht a day for much of my last sojourn - and I would do it all differently if I had my time over. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Reading these threads makes me wary about similar threads on the cost of living in Vietnam. In any case, it comes down to how you plan to fill your days - I dont know anyone who can work/study for 90% of their waking hours (ok, one or two Singaporeans, but thats it ..) - sooner or later you will have some downtime and that is where the best laid plans can quickly turn to mush. Good luck.

Have no intention of working at all in LOS, but I am working my ass off now -- and I am fucking beat.

Note: had just submitted at the end of Jan a resignation for March 4th but got sucked back in (money). Which isn't bad -- the March 4th was burnout, but I would've only been able to stay a few months.

If I hold out till 2012, live Spartan, and put in OT -- I'll be able to come out for a whole year as planned and still have a safety net on return.

And that's not bullshit talk. Spent most of my adult life cycling between living like a workaholic miser and travelling with a little pleasant recklessness. And I like it that way.

But I won't work when I'm there, and I won't make plans.

Just fucking live away from the grind. Will be more than happy to read in the hot sun during the day and chase pussy in the evening. And explore.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it all comes down to how well you deal with 'downtime', and I admit that the old-timers were right when they told me that you cant expect to just extend the 'holiday mentality' over a period of months. Even for those who HAVE the money, it really does get old, and I regret paying for Thai lessons and not turning up to a single lesson due to hangovers. Didnt sleep till 2pm at any time prior to that trip, and havent since, but the nights are as seductive as the days are long, hot and boring.

I still have absolutely no idea how TEFL teachers survive on 30K a month in BKK - I'm talking the single guy or gal in their twenties, not the entrenched expat with a wife and private students.

NG, I think I have been upfront about the fact that you bastards were right. Upfront, if not exactly gracious in defeat.

End of the day, I have to learn things for myself, and I try to remember that when I start giving some other poor bugger the benefit of my (lousier) experiences. Still, it was pretty cool being able to dribble into bed at 6am on a Monday morning when the rest of BKK was coming to grips with the reality of another shitty week at work.

I read a post on Ajarn from some guy who claims he came to Thailand with about a thousand pounds back in 2006, just scraped through the TEFL course and his first month on the job and wouldnt swap the experience for the world as he met some truly cool people. I can only assume that they were truly *generous* cool people ....

Archived