How much - for one year in LOS?

dave32

Alright, lets say that hypothetically you have a friend coming to you for some input.

Here is the question. How much would you advise him to put aside to sustain a decent life for a year in Bangkok (possibly a few months in Chiang Mai - but we'll stick to BKK for question).

Here are the factors:

- Active social life (but not insanely throwing money around)

- Need apartment with high speed internet, aircon, and close proximity to public transportation

- need to travel in country

Will do on an ED Visa. Know how much is required for safety net on return, but realistically - how much would you put away to last a year, and what kind of monthly budget would you stick to? I'm thinking 3k USD per month should do the trick, give or take. Don't want to live like a prince or a pauper.

I know this question is vague, trying to get a feel from people that are actually doing it... I got itchy fucking feet and am ready to go now, but yeah --> need to stick to a plan.

Or something like that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with that assessment, however, as you know, everyone's different.

I would have said 100,000 baht per month would be perfectly fine - which is a bit above the $3K you mentioned.

Many expats live there on less - but quite often they have gf's, wives and don't attend the pay for play scene a lot.

As usual, everyone's different.

Your friend would spend a lot more if he spent 12 months in Bangkok compared to Pattaya or Chiang Mai for instance.

As usual, if he BF's from the gogos its going to be a lot more than paying for freelancers etc.

Anyway, if he's a "regular type of guy", I would think that 100,000 baht per month would be perfectly adequate for the lifestyle to described. YMMV.

The lowest I heard was 15,000 Baht / month ($500 USD, in BKK) but can get by. Others may have gotten by for less then 15K, but that is the lowest I have heard of.

100K should be OK for a one year adventure with the option of a Pattaya adventure, if the money starts to get short.

I have been living in Thailand for 7 years - so, my perspective may be different from yours.

I lived and worked in New York City for years and so, for my first year and a half, I lived in BKK (similar places in my view). I lived very close to the US Embassy and Lumpini Park (the largest and nicest park in BKK). Anyway, I got tired of the heat, traffic, noise and expense.

Presently, I am living in Naklua, next to Pattaya. I am renting a bungalow for 10,000 baht a month - 12,500 including cable TV, high speed internet and utilities. I have a living room, bedrooom, bath, shaded front porch with table and chairs, a small outdoor cooking area and a private parking place. I have a 3 minute walk to the baht bus which will take me to anywhere in Pattaya for 10 baht.

I can be at the bus station in Pattaya in 10 minutes and the bus now takes less than 2 hours to BKK - so, easy access if you want to spend a day or two in BKK.

So, from my perspective, it makes more financial sense to get a place in Naklua or Jomtien (the other side of Pattaya) at much less expense than BKK. Use the monthly savings vs BKK for some holiday time in BKK, Chiang Mai ....

After you have spent a few days in BKK doing the tourist stuff, personally, I don't see the attraction. Naklua or Jomtien are less expensive, more quiet, cooler thanks to a bit of sea breeze and if you are interested in spending time with Thai ladies, there are more and less expensive.

Your $3K per month would be sufficient and provide you with more for your money than in BKK.

Having said all that, I will say again, I spent my first year and a half in BKK and had a great time.

T'were I to apply my full on Sanuk budget to this question, 7,000 bht/day x 30 = 210,000 per month.

But if living there a year, I would probably:

1, not Sanuk every night

2, decamp to Jomtiem or Naklua for most of it

So whilst I'm not a resident, or expert, I would suggest that 100~150K is easily do-able.

Coss

Archived