Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Nah, most of them are Brits. I don't have a single Yank colleague at the moment. The sole Scot has taught me some Ranger songs. The Thais know only Manu U and Liverpool. Don't know about the secondary school teachers. Probably a lot of folks there who think football means the NFL. :hmmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBySWRM0DY&feature=related

• 3 weeks later...

Two-time world champion Jocky Wilson dies aged 62

article-2120039-1252A0D0000005DC-546_468x286.jpg

Two-time world darts champion Jocky Wilson died on Saturday night at the age of 62.

Wilson turned professional in 1979 and rose to fame after he claimed the 1982 and 1989 World Championships.

A Fife police spokeswoman told the BBC: "The death is non-suspicious and due to a medical matter."

Tommy Cox, who managed Wilson from 1988-1996, said: "In the 1980s there wasn't a person in the country who didn't know who Jocky Wilson was."

He added: "Jocky transcended the whole spectrum of life in the UK. It's a very sad day because Jocky was loved by so many people for the great character he was."

The Kirkcaldy-native, who turned 62 on Thursday, had recently been suffering with the lung disorder chronic pulmonary obstructive disease.

Fife emergency services were called to his home in the town at 2100 GMT but he was deceased at the scene when an ambulance arrived.

Wilson's career saw him challenge Englishman Eric Bristow and John Lowe for the sport's major honours before his retirement in 1995.

His first victory in the World Championship came in 1982 when he beat Lowe 5-3 in the final.

Seven years later, he beat his other great rival Bristow 6-4, in a match where the "Crafty Cockney" had recovered from 5-0 down to find himself at 5-4 and 2-2 in the tenth set.

From his debut at the World Championship in 1979 until 1991, Wilson managed to reach at least the quarter-finals of the tournament on every occasion.

Wilson also lifted the British Professional Championship four-times between 1981 and 1988, as well as the British Open and Matchplay titles.

Former World Champion Raymond van Barneveld tweeted: "Sad to hear Jocky Wilson died at age 62 he was a great player and i have many good memories of him RIP champ"

Darts player Steve Beaton said: "RIP Jocky Wilson. What a sad day for darts, my thoughts go out to his family. What a legend I always had a laugh when Jocky was around".

Fellow PDC player Wayne Mardle wrote: "Jocky Wilson the darting legend has passed away. What a character, I loved watching him play, sadly I never had a chance to meet him"

Bobby George on Twitter: "Farewell John Thomas (Jocky) Wilson. We had some great times together will never forget you and your toothless grin!"

John Lowe on Twitter: "Jocky Wilson, a player I rated one of the finest ever, and always enjoyed sharing the Oche, RIP my friend"

Even I'd heard of Jocky Wilson. Wonder why darts aren't included in the Olympics. I'd sure as hell rather watch it than "synchronised swimming". :p

Too right and people actually play darts, whereas who the feck synchronises swimming?! :dunno:

I played Jocky once. In The Centre in Doha (Qatar's only shopping centre at the time) in 1989. I was a reasonable player, but just in case anyone was really good and got a couple of high scores and would therefore have a chance of winning we had to play 1001 instead of 301.

darts-048.gif