Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

This is what Maggie Thatcher tried to stamp out.

A train driver calls in sick so that he can watch Rangers playing football in Germany and when he's sanctioned by his employers his union supports him!! :nono:

They probably will support him, but then the train drivers are working class and as thick as the other football supporters and the footballers they support so no real surprise. Bunch of twats. :shakehead

Train strike ballot over driver's 'sickie' to watch Rangers

Train drivers are being balloted on strike action in support of a colleague who was disciplined for going to a football match after calling in sick.

The driver was demoted after ScotRail bosses discovered he had been in Germany watching Rangers.

He was subsequently demoted, a punishment which the union say resulted in a pay cut of almost £20,000.

ScotRail said the driver's actions were "unacceptable" and that possible strike action was "deeply disappointing".

The 47-year-old driver called in sick in November while he was in Hamburg watching a friendly match.

'Common sense'

Aslef said the demotion was completely unjust and is preparing to ballot 1,100 members at ScotRail on whether to take industrial action in support of the driver.

Aslef's Scottish Secretary Kevin Lindsay told BBC Scotland: "This is the first mistake he has made in 21 years. He's paid a very heavy punishment for this and we think this is excessive by ScotRail.

"We are asking ScotRail to reconsider that decision. Failing to do so, the Aslef membership will get the opportunity to decide whether they believe ScotRail was correct or their own member was."

A ScotRail spokesman said: "The driver's deliberate failure to attend work meant trains were cancelled. That is unacceptable - to our customers, who want a reliable service, and to the company.

"It is deeply disappointing that our passengers could be made to suffer - yet again."

He added: "We have sent out a strong message that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

"Our drivers are now under pressure from union officials to defend the indefensible. It is to be hoped they will ignore the rhetoric and that common sense will prevail."

The result will be announced next month.

25 January, that most auspicious of dates on the Scottish calendar comes around again.

Robert Burns birthday of course. :bow:

220px-Robert_burns.jpg

It's also the most terrifying month of the year if you're a haggis, as tens of thousands of the wee blighters have been slaughtered since the beginning of the year and will be consumed around the world at Burns Suppers over the next couple of days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you not familiar with the work of Burns, here's one of his less well known poems:

Johnie Lad, Cock Up Your Beaver

When first my brave Johnie lad came to this town,

He had a blue bonnet that wanted the crown;

But now he has gotten a hat and a feather,

Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!

Cock up your beaver, and cock it fu' sprush,

We'll over the border, and gie them a brush;

There's somebody there we'll teach better behaviour,

Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!

25 January, that most auspicious of dates on the Scottish calendar comes around again.

Robert Burns birthday of course. :bow:

220px-Robert_burns.jpg

It's also the most terrifying month of the year if you're a haggis, as tens of thousands of the wee blighters have been slaughtered since the beginning of the year and will be consumed around the world at Burns Suppers over the next couple of days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My link

There's a few words that mean the same today....

Then she turned up her hairy cunt,

An she bade Donald claw that;

The deevil’s dizzen Donald drew,

An Donald gied her a’ that.

Along with an unusual lament....

Yestreen I wed a lady fair,

An ye wad believe me,

On her cunt there growes nae hair,

That’s the thing that grieves me.

It vexed me sair, it plagued me sair,

It put me in a passion,

To think that I haed wad a wife,

Whase cunt was oot o fashion.

Loved this picture of Ben A'an that was posted on the BBC (Scotland page).

_58132416_ben_aan.jpg

Ben A'an is one of the most popular amongst Scotland's smaller hills. Often known as the mountain in miniature, its position at the heart of the Trossachs makes it a truly wonderful viewpoint.

i loved my trips to Scotland in the 90'.

based in Edinburgh and would spend time travelling the country.

i used to normally miss the trossachs as i was normally headed northwards to my favourite places.

but i have a vague memory of spending time on a boat trip along Loch(lake) Katrine?.

i'm sure you will correct mr if i am wrong....

but i've always preferred the highlands and the scenary which i loved.

i liked the west coast the best and have many happy memories of places like Plockton and the Isle of Skye.

but the Orkney Islands were way above my league.

what a fantastic place to visit.