Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Johann Lamont has just been elected leader of the Scottish Labour party (the opposition).

Before I post her picture I want to assure anyone thinking of travelling to Scotland that she is not representative of Scottish women generally (and neither is the woman sitting behind her!).

9dd15_278073-lamont-labour-lost-its-way-and-lost-scotland-410x230.jpg

Of course any Germans who voted for Angela Merkel will probably thing that Johann is very attractive. :cover:

And lets not forget that Johann is a German mans name......

BB

I shake my head at the morons in the US these days who name their son Jamie - then spell it Jaime. Any time I see it, I pronounce it Jaime - and if they don't like it, tough tittie, pinche cabron!

A close second is the "name" Skylar - which the boobs don't even know is Schuyler and comes from a US Vice President around 140 years ago.

As to African American names, the least said is the better. My nephew went to school with a girl named Kakawanna. Who the hell wants to be called that? It sounds like someone clearing their throat. Most of my sister's friends are black women, and when one of them gave her daughter an absolute atrocious name, she asked why. "We wanted something that sounded African." She asked why she didn't go to the library and get a book of African names. "They got such books?" Uh, yeah. One of my students at the NCO Academy asked whatever happened to names like Jane, Susan, Mary etc. "Every girl I go out with now is named Lakeesha or Deshawna."

:stirthepo

Thumbs up for man's toe swap operation

_57455871_donald_gunn_bbc2.jpg

Donald Gunn's right thumb was replaced with a toe

A man has praised surgeons after his missing thumb was replaced with one of his toes.

Fisherman Donald Gunn lost his right thumb while at sea when his hand got caught in rope.

Surgeons at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary used the second toe from the Caithness man's left foot.

He said: "The difference it has made to me already is unbelievable. I am delighted with the result and cannot thank the team enough."

_57454631_donald_gunn_bbc.jpg

Consultant plastic surgeon Amir Tadros had believed the toe transplant was a viable option.

Mr Tadros said: "This is a very complex procedure but the difference it could make to Mr Gunn's life convinced me it was worth trying.

"By using the second toe from his left foot we ensured that the patient's balance wasn't affected and the cosmetic appearance was almost the same as a normal foot.

"The 12-hour operation was an endurance test for both the surgical team and Mr Gunn but the recovery we are seeing already has made it all worth it."

'Rare operation'

He explained: "It's a rare operation, it's been around since the 60s, but is not very often done.

"Mr Gunn seemed to fit the criteria. It seems to be successful at the moment."

Mr Gunn added: "It's hard to explain the impact of losing my thumb had on my life.

"It might only be a small part of the body but it's only when you lose it that you realise how important it is.

"I was unable to work, my right hand became essentially useless and I felt really, really low."

An old joke but it's always good to remember how devious the Scots are.

......................................................................................

A man in Scotland calls his son in Edinburgh the day before Christmas Eve and says, “I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; thirty years of misery is enough.â€

“Dad, what are you talking about?†the son screams.

“We can’t stand the sight of each other any longer,†the father says. “We’re sick of each other, and I’m sick of talking about this, so you can call your sister in Aberdeen and tell her â€

Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. “Like hell they’re getting divorced,†she shouts. “I’ll take care of this.â€

She calls home immediately, and screams at her father, “You are NOT getting divorced. Don’t do a single thing until I get there. I’m calling my brother back, and we’ll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don’t do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?†and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. “Okay,†he says, “they’re coming for Christmas – and they’re paying their own way.â€

Barra airport is world's most scenic

23 December 2011

A tiny Scottish airport on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean has been voted the world's most stunning landing spot.

Barra airport in the Outer Hebrides came top of a global poll of pilots and travellers beating the likes of St Barts, the Maldives and Gibraltar.

BBC Scotland's Laura Bicker has been finding out why.

Barra Beach