New computer

khunsanuk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Due to larger product range - and because it is much closer to home - I'll probably buy at the hwhinter.com store.

Current thoughts:

CPU

i5-760 2.80GHz / LGA1156 / 8MB / 45nm

Motherboard

P7H55/USB3 Intel H55

GFX

???

Memory

DDR3 RAM 4GB (2GBX2) PC3-10666 (1333Mhz) F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Harddisk

???

Case

Probably a coolermaster

PSU

SST-ST60F V4.1 Power Supply 600 Watt Silent 135mm Fan With 18dBA.

Cooling

???

OS

Windows 7 Home Basic 32-Bit (OEM)

Some more questions:

- Out of the harddisks listed at hwhinter.com which would you recommend? 500Gb is enough (320Gb even, but not worth the diff in price)

- What kind of cooling should I be getting? Keeping in mind it gets really hot here (40C+ in summer)

- With regards to the gfx card, when I said some gaming think Civ5 and an occasional RPG, no FPS or online gaming. Thinking perhaps one of these, suggestions welcome:

GeForce GT240 1024MB DDR3 128bit DVI HDMI PCI-EX (THB 2251)

GeForce GT240 512MB DDR3 128bit DVI HDMI PCI-EX (THB 1962)

GeForce GTS250 512MB DDR3 256bit DVI HDMI PCI-EX (THB 2874)

- Would this PSU be okay as well - SST-ST40F Power Supply 400 Watt Silent 120mm Fan With 22dBA? Substantial price diff.

Sanuk!

Hi,

This was suggested on the hardware forum:

CPU

i5-760 2.80GHz / LGA1156 / 8MB / 45nm

Motherboard

P7H55/USB3 Intel H55

GFX

MANLI nVIDIA GeForce GTS250 512MB DDR3 256bit DVI HDMI PCI-EX

Memory

DDR3 RAM 4GB (2GBX2) PC3-10666 (1333Mhz) F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Harddisk

WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB

Case

Probably a coolermaster

PSU

SST-ST60F V4.1 Power Supply 600 Watt Silent 135mm Fan With 18dBA.

Cooling

CPU COOLER Hyper 212 Plus (RR-B10-212P-GP)

OS

Windows 7 Home Basic 32-Bit (OEM)

Does that sound about okay? How about changing to Premium 64-Bit instead of Basic 32-Bit? Price diff is about 900 Baht.

Sanuk!

I would just buy it with the stock cooler and see how the temperatures are. I have no aircon in my house and have never had a problem. If you monitor the situation and it turns out your cpu is running hot, you can always take that puppy to the shop and have them install the upgraded cooler--one of the benefits of being in Thailand is they'll do it without even charging you for the service.

I would be shocked if the standard cooling system is not enough.

Oh, I'd go with 64 bit. If you use the 32 bit, only 3 of your four gigs of ram will be recognized. Might not be an issue, but it's a small price to pay just in case. If you ever need more ram, you'll be able to do a simple upgrade (you have two extra slots anyway for ram). Otherwise, you'll need to reinstall the system.

Edit: What's the total damage now? Are you still around 20,000?

Is genuine seven a moral or a legal choice?

Edit: Oh, after you get your system, I'd read through the advice on tweakhound.com about win 7 and how to set it up the best way.

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

Edit2: I'd actually look *before* I had the system built. For example, you need to have them partition the hard drive, one partition (perhaps 100-150 gigs) for the OS and programs, the other for documents and such. This is very important. In addition, you need to think about backup. Do you want to use window's solution (system restore) or do you want to go with a third-party solution. I *highly* recommend True Image. I have had really bad luck with System Restore.

Edit 3: I recommend you turn UAC off and very very important, move your libraries.

Archived