New computer

khunsanuk

Hi,

"Is genuine seven a moral or a legal choice?"

Legal :)

"Oh, after you get your system, I'd read through the advice on tweakhound.com about win 7 and how to set it up the best way."

Thanks, and yes, tend to do that. Spent a bit of time dealing with this at the start and save quite a bit of time later on. Too much crap is often started that is not needed at all.

Sanuk!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would just buy it with the stock cooler and see how the temperatures are. I have no aircon in my house and have never had a problem. If you monitor the situation and it turns out your cpu is running hot, you can always take that puppy to the shop and have them install the upgraded cooler--one of the benefits of being in Thailand is they'll do it without even charging you for the service.

I would be shocked if the standard cooling system is not enough.

A few years ago I build a system by myself and spent some money on an extra cooler which was much more quiet than the original cooler.

Hi,

Just got back from Fortune; bought the new machine from Hardware House. Made a list and got pretty nothing I had specified :)

Ended up with:

CPU: i5-760

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E LX

RAM: 4Gb DDR3

GFX: Galaxy GeForce GT430

HD: WD Black SATA-III 500Gb

PSU: Silverstone 500W (SST-ST50F-230) (Extremely quiet, could barely hear the machine when they turned it on)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B3ST

Total price was 25,600 Baht. A bit more than I had planned, but not too bad. Hadn't planned to get a new DVD writer either, but it was only 680 Baht; figured it was easier to just get a new one.

So, now to install everything :(

Sanuk!

• 2 weeks later...

For program devel, disk IO is going to be the bottleneck. I see some suggested an SSD. However there are some other ways to increase disk IO.

1) Get a 2nd disk and run the disks in a RAID 0 configuration. That will double the disk throughput.

2) Setup a RAM disk. This will give an order of magnitude increase over an SSD.

Archived