New computer

khunsanuk

Hi,

My current PC (of 4 years) is beginning to act up. A couple of times now it has just hung completely, and will not restart - beeping to indicate GFX issue.

Have taken it to be checked yesterday, and of course no problem running in the shop :(

The guy cleaned it and mentioned the RAM was dirty figuring that that might have been the issue. Guess it wasn't as it died on me again this morning :(

Checked harddisk and RAM (no problems), updated to latest video drivers this morning.

Anyway, I think it is time to just get a new one even though I can't really afford it. It is needed for work and I would hate to lose a bunch of work.

So, have started to look around on www.busitek.com and kinda thought of this:

CPU - i5-760 2.80GHz / LGA1156 / 8MB / 45nm

Motherboard - P7H55-M/USB3

GFX - GT430

Memory - KHX1600C8D3T1K2/4GX

Harddisk - WD Caviar Black WD6402AAEX (640Gb SATA-III)

Case - Cooler Master Elite 310

PSU - Hybrid 2 RX-530SS 530W

Total price for that is 20,280 Baht.

Now as I don't really know much about hardware a couple of questions:

- Is that an okay machine?

- Is there a big performance diff between SATA-II 32MB and SATA-III 64MB? (Don't really need 640Gb as I already have a 1Tb external drive; price diff is only 200 Baht though, so guess not a big issue)

- I can get an i3 as well for about 2800 Baht less? Would that be okay as well, or better to get the i5?

- Is that motherboard okay, or would you suggest a different one? I really have no clue about motherboards.

What will I use it for? Mostly work, i.e. web development, bit of gfx work (Photoshop), general PC stuff, maybe a little bit of gaming but not much.

Sanuk!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want some good advice and you have a bit of time to do research, join hardforum.com and ask them to help you do a build, being sure to let them know you're buying in Thailand--giving the busitek url to show what's available here. There's a specific way to post questions about a build in this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

Post the request for help in the General Hardware section:

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=824306febf381897beeef126935ef21b&f=40

Alternatively, you can just browse the advice already given to others on their builds to get an idea of what is the current 'sweet spot' for the various components.

- I can get an i3 as well for about 2800 Baht less? Would that be okay as well, or better to get the i5?

You'd be better off using that 2800 Baht toward an SSD. You can get a 64 GB SSD for about that -- at least here in the USA. From the Windows Experience Index perspective, the HD is likely the slowest component in your system. Moving to an SSD and i3 will probably increase your WEI above 7.

I use a 64 GB SSD on which core programs are installed. Secondary programs and data are stored on a HD. There is a significant difference in speed and WEI score.

Hi,

BTW, what version of Windows 7 should I get? Basic 32-Bit enough, or am I better of getting the Premium 32-Bit?

Couldn't care less about the Aero crap or Windows Media Center, nor do I have a network here (router supplies more than 1 computer, but that's not a network, right? (as I said, no clue about hardware :) )

Price diff is 890 Baht, so substantial.

Sanuk!

Hi,

i'll give it a go.

LizardKing already mentioned it, with the right CPU and this mainboard you may use onboard video. However the CPUs with this feature are all i3 or i5 dual core versus the i5 quad core without video.

As you want to do some gaming you won't be too happy with onboard video, whether you go for Intel or AMD processors.

With the choosen case you may look for another mainboard as the case is ATX format and an ATX mainboard would give more options for add-on cards. The chosen µATX board will fit but after plugging an video card you just have one PCI slot and one PCIe x1 slot left (the second PCIe x1 slot most likely covered by the video card cooler).

There is also the option to have a nice small computer using an µATX mainboard and µATX case like the Cooler Master Elite 370 for the same price (plus front USB and front audio at the top of the cae instead of the bottom).

The mainboard itself is quite nice and already has USB 3.0.

Sata III doesn't make a difference with usual HDD, whether they have a Sata II or Sata III interface. Unless you have two Sata III drives connected to a Sata III controller and join them into Raid0. However there are SSD (Solid State Drives) that already make good use of Sata III like the Crucial RealSSD C300 drives. A bit expensive for my taste. Plus only usable as system disk so you'll need an HDD anyway. However, SSD speed up the system quite a lot. With Win7 I don't recommend using an SSD smaller than 60GB.

You didn't mention the CPU cooler but you better not think of using the one boxed with the CPU. These will do the job but not unnoticed. Better go for the likes of an Scythe Samurai ZZ or the Scythe Mugen 2.

Video card: the GT430 isn't for gamers. It's designed for office and video. If it should be for some gaming you'd be better off with a GTS450. With AMD cards it would be the HD 5750 or HD 5770.

Power supply. When you have a close look at the mainboard you'll see it does have an 8-pin (or 4+4pin) ATX 12V power socket next to the CPU. The power supply only has a 4-pin plug for that. This will work, but it's far from perfect. This detail is easy to miss. Better look for a power supply that does have all the right plugs.

Archived