16 year old kills 8 people in crash

BelgianBoy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how do you get a learners permit to learn to drive in THailand?

You get one when you are 18 - and legally able to drive.

Of course, the police ignore 10 year olds on motorcycles, since they couldn't possibly have a licence. Also, if you are some sort of a poobah, you can get your licence before you know how to drive! My wife did (civil servant). I'd been driving for over 20 years, but the SOBs made me take a driving test! :cussing:

The police also will almost never stop anyone in a BMW or Benz - might be somebody important. Watch them pull over drivers near the end of the month (when the cops are broke) - Toyotas, pickups, taxis, tuk-tuks, mo'cys.

p.s. This latest victim must have been a graduate student, since they used her graduation photo.

:rip:

Bangkok Post

wonth January 2011

Teen admits her speeding caused crash, visits victims

The young driver of a car involved in a fatal tollway crash on Monday has expressed her regret over the tragedy and admitted she was speeding at the time of the accident.

"I'd like to express my sadness at what happened," said Orachorn Thephasadin Na Ayudhya.

"It was an accident caused by my recklessness."

Ms Orachorn told the current affairs show, Chao Kao Khon Kon Kao Chao, on Modernine TV Friday: "If I hadn't been speeding, it wouldn't have happened, or at least it wouldn't have been this bad."

Nine people were killed when the passenger van in which they were travelling on the Don Muang expressway crashed into a barrier near the Bang Khen exit after it was involved in a collision with the car driven by Ms Orachorn.

[color:red]Police said the teenager faces charges of reckless driving causing deaths and injuries to others, and driving without a licence. The legal age for applying for a driver's licence is 18 years.[/color]

Ms Orachorn, who has been reported to be 16 years old but claims to be 17, said she had not been aware of the public outcry her involvement in the accident had caused until Thursday, when she read the newspapers. Her family had tried to shield her from the media.

She explained in detail on the TV show what happened on Monday night.

She said she had been driving at high speed when the passenger van tried to move into her lane, so she flashed the driver with her lights and the van moved back into its own lane.

She accelerated but the van moved back into her lane and she felt an impact.

Ms Orachorn said she did not see what happened after that, as her body slipped out of her seat.

"[color:red]I wasn't wearing a safety belt.[/color] I felt an impact and my body was thrown down and was stuck in the car until rescue workers helped me out."

She was later pictured at the roadside using a mobile phone, but she insisted she was not texting her friends, as has been claimed. She said she was using the phone to call her family and insurance agents.

Ms Orachorn said the authorities would not allow her to go to a hospital until she had contacted the insurance company and her parents.

The young woman declined to say how fast she was travelling as it would affect the police investigation.

She denied discussing the incident on Facebook.

Ms Orachorn said she would report to police on Jan 5, as summoned.

[color:purple]"I would like to practise dhamma [religious teachings] until the appointment," she said.[/color] :surprised:

Ms Orachorn, accompanied by her parents, visited crash survivors at Vibhavadi Hospital Friday.

Wisarut Ponlasit, one of the survivors, said he was not considering filing for compensation from the young driver.

He said Ms Orachorn, who was in a wheelchair, apparently sustained bruises to her body. "She apologised for what happened and I understood. I'll let police handle the case, but I don't think I'll demand any compensation," he said.

Mr Wisarut said the girl's mother also apologised for not coming to see him sooner.

Waranyu Ketchu, another victim, said he also was not thinking about filing a lawsuit. "I feel good that they came by and apologised. The rest should wait until I fully recover," he said.

She's in a wheelchair now, but she looked in good shape when she stood there immediately afterwards in her micro-mini.

I guess this is part of her performance. After the huge backlash in the media I presume they hired a PR consultant who developed a really good strategy. Since they just can't pay off the victims/victims families with the public against them, the girl's family tries to use the media to their advance:

- She says she didn't know about the extremely negative media, which explains the delayed response - and the time needed to put together a strategy:

- appearance on TV

- Sitting in wheel chair

- Public apology

- visiting the victims

- religious studies

It will be interesting to see, if she will be brought to trial.

Archived