Bought Land for Wife In Her Village

New Petchburi Pete

While my wife was in her village (very remote) in Isaan for Songkran, she called me and asked if I would buy her a parcel of land which abuts her parents' property and is very fertile farmland. I've walked this land many times before. It is high ground and well planted with banana, mangoe, coconut and other fruit trees. The price was extremely low. I told her to just buy it. I did this for her and her family. She views it as security; and, I know her family, which I love, will plant chilli peppers and other produce to sell, which should greatly help the family economy. She was elated. When I gave the nod on the phone I could hear a roar of approval from her family and friends.

I love the village people, especially the children.

She said she wanted a small home there for us to stay in when we visit. She knows I can only spend a few weeks there a year. I probably will do this for her as well. I was the first farang to visit the village about a year and a half ago. Now there is an Austrian who lives there permanently, and a German and a Canadian who spend some time with their wive's families each year as I do.

When I'm there I love to drop into the village school and spend time with the children. These people are quite poor, but extremely content.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i went to my GF's village, i was surprised to hear there's another farang living there. From Sweden. Sure enough, as i was lounging in the garden hammock, i saw a white guy jogging down the road. Well, we met and sipping a few beers in his home every afternoon and ranting about thais this and thais that, was a nice break in my otherwise predictable, if pleasant, village schedule. I had heard about the Bg who built a home in the village, and we finally met her, as she is the swede's wife. A welcome addition in my Issan acquaintances. May have to drop the siesta for a little jogging next year, and a few more beers. You don't want to lose too much weight in that climate....

I did the same - bought my gf a parcel of land. 50K Baht. At a very prominent place, not farmland, great for a house.

The troble was - hopefully not any more - that the land was theirs before, until a bank reposessed it.

My condition was that the land must be in hers name, not her mother's.

She is telling me it was all sorted out last week - during the Songran, she's got the deed.

Will see what papers she can produce next week when I am there.

We bought the lot next to my wife's mother's house and built a house for her sister's family, there is still room for a small house for us, to built later. We also bought some rice growing land that increased the family rice production by about 50%.

Funny thing about both purchases was that even though we had cash to pay for entire amount each time, wife insisted on time payments. I figured it was to prevent a large cash amount falling into sellers hands (in both cases cousins).

Both pieces of land are in wife's (married) name.

TH

hope things work out for you guys.

friend on mine, same village, bought land and kept it in his name on a lease. he felt more comfortable and the family got the benefits. if the price isn't too high i guess it doesn't matter so much.

Will see the land certificate on Thursday, take it to a lawyer for verification on Friday.

I am not really sure who got the money although I was told.

It was her mother who did the transaction 2 months ago, now my gf is telling me they did it in a proper way (last week) so the land is in her (gf's) name and she is free to sell it or do whatever she wants with it.

I doubt they would cheat me on this - they expect a house to be erected there...which will not happen if there is even just a little bit of a stink around the land papers.

Yeah, I know about pawned land....

Nice, colorful story NP Pete. It was a neat report for me to read.

I do wish that people would share the names of the villages. But, I can understand why they wouldn't.

Archived