Bought Land for Wife In Her Village

New Petchburi Pete

TTM,

I hope my post did not sound too harsh. I just do not want another embittered "all Thai women are lying bitches" poster (read Farangbaa) around.

Just use common sense.

I know what you mean about the cattle, but you do not need to spend 500K-1,000K to make it better. Save that for you and your GF's house.

For 100-200K, you can build a house the family never expected to have, the trick is convincing your GF that you and her are in this together and she does not need to get all she can now. I have no idea how to do that not living every day with her. My situation is much different in that we lived first 2 years together before we lived in Thailand. The trust was built during that time. Now she keeps family happy, but at reasonable level (some would disagree).

Be very carefull in refusing requests, most are actually tests that you will fail if you refuse outright. Talk about future together and how these requests make a future comfortable life together further away.

Can you be more specfic about where Wang Sombun is? What is nearby hiway? Which direction from Sao Kaew city. Is your GF living there now?

TH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TH,

Wang Sombun is on the road from Sa Kaeo to Chanthaburi. In the middle between Khao Chakan and Soi Dao.

She does not live there, she is in my unit in BKK, does school 7 days a week. Has been since early January when she quit the bar.

Refusing requests to visit her home: you are right, I'll go there next time. She did not really insist in the past, probably was not sure for how long our relationship was going to last. Being seen with a farang there and then no farang any more would be a major loss of face for her.

Trust: I am sick of not trusting her. Thanks to good words from people like you and bad words from people like farangbaa (he may have converted more no-trust farangs than he thinks).

I've got a girl that is hard worker, clever, money concious, no drinks/smokes/drugs/jewelry, gravely concerned about her family's well being. All positive, she just needed a chance.

A-ha, just remembered - it was her idea to install the webcam in our BKK condo last week.

Well i was speaking with a beautiful girl from buriram last week and she tells me that she has been working pattaya for 3 months and guess what, she has saved 40,ooo baht

she want to build a house that she says will cost 270,000 baht but that all, she needs to get it started is half that ,ie 135,000 baht,minus the 40,000 that she has saved in three months and all she needs is.............anybodies guess.

she maintains that she is earning 30,000 baht /month and this is in a bar in soi 8.

she is very pretty but i dont think that is possible ,also what about the 270,000 baht house in buriram? realistic or more fantasy?

Well here's my 2 bahts worth, this year my girlfriend and myself purchased a house in Sanpatong district approx 20km outside of Chiang Mai.

The purchase price was 430,000baht for a 3 bedroom, 2 storey house on it's own land. It's also got a garage that can easily take 2 cars and an outside toilet. I will spend about the same again to landscape the garden, put in a western style bathroom, furnish and generally make the place a desirable place to live. I'm sure this can be done much cheaper in Issan.

In reply to:

I assume there is a huge difference in the value of land for constructing a house and growing food. Are there any rules of thumb one should follow for each?

Good question. When you say land for growing food I assume you mean rice?

The typical rice farmer lives in the village proper but the farm where they grow rice is usually in a different location not far from the main village. The rice fields (naa) don't have electricity or good roads so the land value is generally lower than that of the main village. But one exception to this may be in those regions that have irrigation available during the dry season meaning two rice harvests per year.

Are there any rules of thumb? Usually not but when it comes to land used for rice production there probably is a price that can be calculated taking into account future rice harvests.

As far as prices go my experience is in the Udon area, no dry season irrigation available (for growing rice). Don't quote me on this and I invite anyone to offer their personal experiences when it comes to prices, as of 4-5 years ago, a rice farm of ten rai (typical size) Baht10K + per rai. At the same time land inside the village, electricity available, road frontage (maybe dirt road) 25-50k/rai.

To this day I don't believe that one should pay more than B50k/rai in a typical village located away from a city center. But remember there are many variables.....bahnawk

I bought some land outside Trat a couple of years ago. The land hadn't been used for many years, so we had to remove bushes, flatten it with tractors etc. Previously the former owners had been looking for gems, precious stones or whatever. Seems like a lot of people did it 8-10 years ago. The heavy machinery used for it, rusts away in the villages... Anyway, my father-in-law negotiated with the seller, which happen to be neighbours to my father-in-laws land. We bought a total of 110 rai from three different farmers. The standard price for farm land in this village was 10k/rai. BTW I'm looking to buy land in Pattaya. I've been quoted everything between 1-4 million baht/rai depending on location... I sure don't need a rai, will settle for 200-300 sq.m, but it will still be expensive.

"As far as prices go my experience is in the Udon area, no dry season irrigation available (for growing rice). Don't quote me on this and I invite anyone to offer their personal experiences when it comes to prices, as of 4-5 years ago, a rice farm of ten rai (typical size) Baht10K + per rai. At the same time land inside the village, electricity available, road frontage (maybe dirt road) 25-50k/rai."

Just bought 1 rai in our village of Sakon Nakhon. 20 K/1 rai.

Dirt road frontage.

Concerning "the land for growing food issue" It will depend on whether we are talking about Tee Naa (for growing rice) or Tee Rai which is situated in a place where irrigation and rice growing is not possible. Typical products grown in Tee Rai could be Tapioca or various fruit trees.

Land located at Tee Naa will be more expensive that that of Tee Rai.

Hua Nguu

"Just bought 1 rai in our village of Sakon Nakhon. 20 K/1 rai.

Dirt road frontage."

That is a good price. Same price quoted to my wife recently when a neighbor "needed" to sell some land. My wife has never paid more than 25K/rai, this for land we "wanted" therefore the slightly higher price.

We?ve added several rai to our place over the years, some for strategic reasons others because a neighbor needed the money. Mostly crappy soil but certain varieties of fruit trees do remarkably well. We've bought several loads of topsoil, din dum, for our vegetable gardens. bahnawk

Take a look at the color and texture of the soil. If it tends towards brown and crumbly it's probably OK. Seems you see the better soil in the hills. The flat lands are obviously desirable for growing rice and therefore they have been used extensively for centuries.

Ask the locals, they know the good soil from the not so good. As far as determining the value of the soil if you mean money wise I?m not sure.

Much of my wife?s land is sand, slight red-brown tinge. I consider it very poor but as mentioned earlier some things grow very well especially trees once they are established.

Available water should be a major concern if you are interested in crops. Usually you need a well and a good one at that. Don't scrimp if it comes to drilling a well. Ask the locals how far to the water table, and drill a minimum 4 inch diameter bore. bahnawk

Archived