khao san road

dingsbumst69

Airport bus is supposed to run form 5am to midnight but unlikely to get through immigration, pick up bags and find the bus top in time

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

As everyone else said may as well take a taxi - has the advantage of door to door. I think it was about 500-600b (althought that may have included a tip and was to sukumvit road) and as opposed to the 150b in the bus and it is so much more convienent to take an air con taxi especially at that time of night.

Bangkok is one of the best places to get a reasonably priced taxi - just remember to use the official airport taxi desk and keep the piece of paper that they give you and insist the driver uses the meter. Taxi cost is whats on the meter + 50b + express toll fares - normally budget about 500/600 but been a while since I've been in bangkok.

Supposed to be able to avoid the 50b if you go to arrivals and grab an taxi which has dropped someone off - might be faster but don't believe the drivers are supposed to drop people off. Never tried it but sure someone on the board has done it.

"Supposed to be able to avoid the 50b if you go to arrivals and grab an taxi which has dropped someone off - might be faster but don't believe the drivers are supposed to drop people off. Never tried it but sure someone on the board has done it."

The departure drop off section is now set up like a prison area - they really care about that 50 baht surcharge - not worth it to try to get a taxi up there.

• 2 months later...
"Supposed to be able to avoid the 50b if you go to arrivals and grab an taxi which has dropped someone off - might be faster but don't believe the drivers are supposed to drop people off. Never tried it but sure someone on the board has done it."

The departure drop off section is now set up like a prison area - they really care about that 50 baht surcharge - not worth it to try to get a taxi up there.

In the immortal words of a sweet young Thai salesgirl near the end of a haggle: "50 baht???" (That's how far apart we were at that moment. She won. At that time, the exchange rate was 40 baht to the US dollar.)

Even now, with the exchange rate just under 30 to the dollar, saving 50 baht is just not worth the hassle factor.

Exit immigration, take the elevator down one floor (or use the baggage-capable escalator, if you're feeling adventurous: I think I'm going to pass on that from here on out), go outside, and do the taxi stand thing.

Everything else: specify meter taxi, keep the piece of paper paper, INSIST on the meter, all applies.

Archived